none
Do not block installation or application launch based on OS version check RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:
    I have the following error in my test:
    Test case: Perform version checking properly at runtime.: FAIL
    ERROR: Application failed to run under a higher Windows version.
    IMPACT IF NOT FIXED: Customers are artificially blocked from running their applications when there are no technical limitations.
    HOW TO FIX: Application installations must not perform version checks for equality (== 5.1). If you need a specific feature, check whether the feature itself is available. If you need Windows XP, check for Windows XP or later (>= 5.1), this way, your detection code will continue to work on future versions of Windows. Driver installers and uninstall modules should never check the OS version.

It's a small application that has nothing to do with the OS version.
    I created the package with a Deployment Project in Visual Studio 2005 in a Windows XP SP2.
    Is this the reason why I get the error??
    How can I fix it??
    Regards
    Monday, October 19, 2009 10:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

For test case 5 failure below are certain checkpoints for you –

·         You need to perform test on Windows 7 x64 machine.

·         If your application is 32-bit then it must be supported on 64-bit Windows 7 (using WoW64 mode)

·         You need to use 64-bit version of toolkit and if your application is 32-bit then you can choose an option of 32-bit application within the 64-bit toolkit.

·         App verifier should be installed before starting the test. You can download the Application Verifier from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c4a25ab9-649d-4a1b-b4a7-c9d8b095df18&DisplayLang=en.

(with RTW release of Logo Toolkit, application verifier is bundled with the toolkit package)

·         We have come across such failures if there is any memory issue. So it would be great if you can try performing tests on a system >=2 GB memory.

On an additional note:

I hope you are using the final release of Logo Toolkit(RTW) which is available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=47eb8461-b15a-458f-a18a-08adb2ee76f0 to test you application for the Windows 7 logo program as WinQual will cease accepting packages produced by the "Beta 2" version of the toolkit on 11/12/2009. It is highly recommended to start using the final release of the toolkit to validate and submit your application to the "Compatible With Windows 7 Logo" program.”

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Saroj

• Edited by Saroj Thakur Friday, November 6, 2009 2:28 PM Typed signature twice
    • Proposed as answer by Saroj Thakur Friday, November 20, 2009 4:07 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 2:27 PM