Order history should stay in ERP System or in Commerce server RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying do commerce server implementation with our existing ERP Systems. We are trying to built a portal where customers come there and they can do reorders from previous orders. We have several years of order history. My question is do we need to load all data in to commerce server or we can directly query from the ERP and build the basket in the commerce server. Which one is the best way? Are there any guide lines for implementations of commerce server ?
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 10:56 PM

All replies

• There won't be a real best way. Many guidelines etc. but it - like always - depends on your architecture.

To have an webserver communicating with the ERP (storing everything within the ERP) would cause massive network traffic and long response times I guess.

Keep the basket, customer data, etc. in the portal until the order process is finished. Then transfer everything to the ERP system.

The question is where to store order history and material master data etc.

This again depends. In my personal opinion: keep the data where it's located. So query the ERP but try to use as less queries as possible. Use one for order history and keep it in the webserver for this session (or a tempdb), load material master data depending on what was requested (by a search) etc.

You can of course store a copy of all data within the database of the webserver. But then you have to think about synch etc. It should be possible of course but you would have douplicated data. If both servers are located in the same LAN, I would try to avoid this.

If you like my post or consider it as a valid answer, please use the buttons to show me - Oliver
    Monday, May 31, 2010 5:18 AM
  • Thank you very much for your response.

The options you suggested me makes sense. If we don't pull the data to commerce server are there any referential integrity issues with commerce server.

Because commerce server looks for various information in their database table like order address, billing address and all.

Thanks,

ram

Monday, May 31, 2010 1:07 PM