What is the best way to distribute components? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best way to distribute our Components? Should we just throw the source files in a zip folder and sent them out or is there a better way?

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 3:45 PM

Answers

• You can use Visual Studio Installer followed the steps from http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246580.aspx 

Basically the FileContentType is Toolbox Control. The other party can then install your package and it will appear in their toolbox.

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 4:06 PM
  • A VSI is nothing but a zip with an xml file in it that Visual Studio (including Express) uses to install things such as templates, code snippets and toolbox items.  If you want an easy lightweight way to distribute GameComponents in binary form, a VSI is a great way to do this.
    Tuesday, September 5, 2006 6:10 PM
  • The component assembly would be part of the project as a reference, just like System.Xml or Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll, so it would get copied to the Xbox 360 during build.
    Tuesday, September 5, 2006 10:33 PM

All replies

• You can use Visual Studio Installer followed the steps from http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246580.aspx 

Basically the FileContentType is Toolbox Control. The other party can then install your package and it will appear in their toolbox.

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 4:06 PM
  • I'd rather people provided zip files...

Lots of people are posting samples and components here, and I enjoy downloading them and looking how they achieved things (or taking the bits I need). I don't want to *install* anything. Some people have already starting putting their games up in this way, but it just means clogging peoples machines up with stuff that didn't need installing "in progress" games/components. I'd much rather files in a zip file that I can extract (that goes for games and components).

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 5:35 PM
  • A VSI is nothing but a zip with an xml file in it that Visual Studio (including Express) uses to install things such as templates, code snippets and toolbox items.  If you want an easy lightweight way to distribute GameComponents in binary form, a VSI is a great way to do this.
    Tuesday, September 5, 2006 6:10 PM
  • That doesn't sound so bad - but do I get to choose where they go? I don't mind for @finsihed@ components, but for stuff still being developed, I'd rather know where it is :)

That said, it was more games and stuff I was bothered about - it's nice to see what other people are doing with XNA, but I don't really need a start menu entry, and a folder in Program Files. The build folder zipped up is more convenient (especially at work!), as it can be unzipped, played with, and deleted very easily (which is what I usually do with the little Pong clones being posted ;))

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 6:19 PM
  • VSI is a easy way to distribute GameComponents in binary, does that mean we can share components without sharing the code? If this is so will that work with Xbox 360 games and then we can share some of the source with out giving it all away?

Of course they can always then use the components but some mystery is still there.

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 9:49 PM
  • The component assembly would be part of the project as a reference, just like System.Xml or Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll, so it would get copied to the Xbox 360 during build.
    Tuesday, September 5, 2006 10:33 PM
  •  aka_Big_Wurm wrote:

VSI is a easy way to distribute GameComponents in binary, does that mean we can share components without sharing the code?

Just remember, .NET assemblies aren't compiled. So even if you pass out .exe and .dll's you are passing out your source code (in MSIL format) that can easily be translated back to C# or VB.NET, etc. The code isn't in .cs files, but its easy enough to get them back into .cs files.
    Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:06 AM