Direct Play Voice Session RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

Can any one tell how many number of players can be added in direct play voice session ?

Friday, June 2, 2006 8:08 AM

Answers

• Riaz,

Unfortunately I don’t know the answer to your question.  What I do know is that Microsoft has declared DirectPlay to be deprecated technology and strongly recommends AGAINST using it.  This is due to discovered security holes, as well as the fact that the more robust Winsock 2 API now allows you to do everything you would want to do for networking.

Unfortunately, Winsock 2 doesn’t have a high-level implementation of voice sessions, but there are several 3rd party developers which are using the Winsock 2 API, in conjunction with OpenAL, and various forms of compression to create an alternative to DirectPlay voice.  A quick search on google brings up:

http://www.hawksoft.com/hawkvoice/

You might check them out and see if they meet your needs.

Cheers!
    Jeromy Walsh

Friday, June 2, 2006 6:44 PM

All replies

• Riaz,

Unfortunately I don’t know the answer to your question.  What I do know is that Microsoft has declared DirectPlay to be deprecated technology and strongly recommends AGAINST using it.  This is due to discovered security holes, as well as the fact that the more robust Winsock 2 API now allows you to do everything you would want to do for networking.

Unfortunately, Winsock 2 doesn’t have a high-level implementation of voice sessions, but there are several 3rd party developers which are using the Winsock 2 API, in conjunction with OpenAL, and various forms of compression to create an alternative to DirectPlay voice.  A quick search on google brings up:

http://www.hawksoft.com/hawkvoice/

You might check them out and see if they meet your needs.

Cheers!
    Jeromy Walsh

Friday, June 2, 2006 6:44 PM
  • Thanx Jeromy Walsh
    It is realy very nice to here from u .

i would like tell u that i have developed my application and it is well running for approx 20 players communicating simultaneously.

now i m worried wht will happen if this number increases  to 100 or 100+ players.

so can u plz tell help me finding how many players can be added in a session.

Thanx in anticipation.

Friday, June 9, 2006 5:14 AM