none
Issues upgrading an app that's in Kiosk mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using Embedded Lockdown Manager with Windows 8 Application Launcher to tie a user to an App in kiosk mode. I have some other standard desktop exes running behind the kiosk app. Everything appears fine under normal operation.

My issue is when I try to upgrade all my applications. I have an MSI that installs all the standard desktop exes and also runs the 'Add-AppxPackage' to upgrade the kiosk app. I have to pass the -Force to Add-AppxPackage to bring down the kiosk app. This causes (I'm assuming) a fatal error in the app, which then triggers the 'fatal error action', which in my case is 'Sign out the current user'. Signing out the user is not desirable but I can live with just quickly logging back in after an upgrade, if it that worked but it doesn't.

What appears to happen is the installation process is aborted in the middle when it shutdowns the kiosk app and subsequent user log out.

My questions are:

* How can I upgrade an app while it's in kiosk mode?

* Is there a way to not have the user logged out when the kiosk app experiences a fatal error?

Thank you.

Friday, May 6, 2016 11:43 AM

Answers

• Ok, here's what I've found  as for as I can tell you:

• you can't upgrade a Kiosk app while it's running
    • you can't upgrade the kiosk app from a different user. I even looked into provision apps. After the initial provisioned app is installed, all upgrades need to done by the user
    • therefore I need to do upgrade As the user and NOT in kiosk mode

So, that left me to make some convenience scripts that can be run from a different user. Whenever I need to do an update I need to

1. Log out of the kiosk user, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Sign out
    2. Log into a different admin user
    3. Run my DisableKiosk script, which disables kiosk mode for the target user
    4. Log back into the target user (no longer with kiosk enabled)
    5. Perform my update
    6. Run the EnableKiosk script, either from the target user or the other admin user (it doesn't matter which one)
    7. Log out and log back into the target user

Kind of a bummer chain of steps but it's the best I could come up with.

The Enable/Disable scripts can be easily made with Embedded Lockdown Manager using the 'Export to PowerShell...' feature.

Saturday, May 7, 2016 8:22 PM

All replies

• Maybe it is because the application is running that the error occurs. Is it possible to switch to a different app, do the update, and then switch back?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, May 6, 2016 3:25 PM
  • Yes, I think it's because my app (in Kiosk mode) is running during the upgrade. Upgrading a running app must cause it to have a fatal error which then automatically logs you out.

I'd rather not require a separate login to do an upgrade. But I will look into it.  Our app is the only window into the system.

If I could programmatically enabled/disable the application launcher, that would be great.

Friday, May 6, 2016 4:50 PM
  • Sean, I just re-read what you wrote and you side switch to a different App and try. I read it as switch to a different user.

I don't think you can switch the app used for kiosk mode on the fly. You'd have to switch to an Admin user, turn off Windows 8 Application Launcher for the Kiosk user, log back in as the Kiosk user and then do the update. This is a procedural solution, which would be difficult to handle by my end user unfortunately.

I was thinking a middle of the road solution could be have them log in as a different user, perform an update under that user which would apply to all users, and then log back in as the kiosk user.

However, the command 'Add-AppxPackage' only works for the current user. I can't seem to target a specific user to update.

Saturday, May 7, 2016 11:21 AM
  • Ok, here's what I've found  as for as I can tell you:

• you can't upgrade a Kiosk app while it's running
    • you can't upgrade the kiosk app from a different user. I even looked into provision apps. After the initial provisioned app is installed, all upgrades need to done by the user
    • therefore I need to do upgrade As the user and NOT in kiosk mode

So, that left me to make some convenience scripts that can be run from a different user. Whenever I need to do an update I need to

1. Log out of the kiosk user, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Sign out
    2. Log into a different admin user
    3. Run my DisableKiosk script, which disables kiosk mode for the target user
    4. Log back into the target user (no longer with kiosk enabled)
    5. Perform my update
    6. Run the EnableKiosk script, either from the target user or the other admin user (it doesn't matter which one)
    7. Log out and log back into the target user

Kind of a bummer chain of steps but it's the best I could come up with.

The Enable/Disable scripts can be easily made with Embedded Lockdown Manager using the 'Export to PowerShell...' feature.

Saturday, May 7, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Isn't UWP fun?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Sunday, May 8, 2016 3:11 AM