none
Settings Saved but not loaded

Question

• I have this situation for months and it annoyed me just enough today to deal with it but with no success.

Changes I do in the Find and Replace window (i.e. Folder Selected, Folder Saved, File masks, Find options, etc) are saved when I exit visual studio. I can open the "current.vssettings" and I see the new folder I created is there in the settings. But, when I restart VS, it doesn't load the new settings it loads an old version somewhere.

If I manually Import the startup settings then all the options are back but letting VS load the "current" settings doesn't work.

If I open the current settings and save the file—thus changing the file time—then VS sees the settings as a new version and load the new stuff. (Something to do with the registry AutoSaveFILETIMEHigh and AutoSaveFILETIMELow I guess?) 

If I exit and start again.... Back to the old stale version!!!!

Where VS takes that stale version of the settings? Why the new settings are not established as the current settings? It is certainly not loading the last version saved on exit.

So as a recap: I can change settings, on exit the settings are saved in the current settings, on startup the settings loaded are not the last version. If a change the file time of the last version and then start VS, the new settings are loaded.

Tired of resetting the folders, masks, and options everytime...

ML

P.S. I found an old post that mentionned that ReSharper was messing up with the settings so I tried disabling ReSharper but it does the same.

Friday, December 11, 2015 1:19 AM

Answers

• Hi ML1964,

Maybe I could share the steps I often use in my side if I want to save the specific settings in my side.

(1) I change the "look in" folder like the follow screen shot 1.

(2) I export the settings to a new folder(for example, save it to the desktop) with a new name like "Jack.vssettings".

(3)I re-open the VS, it still uses the settings like the above screen shot 1.

(4)I close the VS, re-open it, if I import the Jack.vssettings again, it still use the custom settings as my previous steps.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hi ML1964,

This forum is discuss Visual Studio Setup and installation.

As your issue is related to visual studio general questions ,I help you move this case to Visual
    Studio general questions
    forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Wen Xu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, December 14, 2015 5:43 AM
  • Hi ML1964,

Maybe I could share the steps I often use in my side if I want to save the specific settings in my side.

(1) I change the "look in" folder like the follow screen shot 1.

(2) I export the settings to a new folder(for example, save it to the desktop) with a new name like "Jack.vssettings".

(3)I re-open the VS, it still uses the settings like the above screen shot 1.

(4)I close the VS, re-open it, if I import the Jack.vssettings again, it still use the custom settings as my previous steps.

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:19 AM