none
Visual Studio 2017 install Error Return Code= 1714

Question

• Visual Studio 2017 will not install. 

Entry in the error log:

MSI: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\Microsoft.VisualStudio.MinShell.Msi,version=15.0.26315.0\Microsoft.VisualStudio.MinShell.Msi.msi, Properties:  REBOOT=ReallySuppress ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1  MSIFASTINSTALL="7"  VSEXTUI="1"  VS7.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional" 
            Return code: 1714
            Return code details: The older version of vs_minshellmsi cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group. 

MSI: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\Microsoft.VisualStudio.MinShell.Msi,version=15.0.26315.0\Microsoft.VisualStudio.MinShell.Msi.msi, Properties:  REBOOT=ReallySuppress ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1  MSIFASTINSTALL="7"  VSEXTUI="1"  VS7.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional" 
            Return code: 1714

I have uploaded my vslogs.zip file at:    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlFl0_5QwWfJm65RegljkPWS5BzhkQ

Friday, April 28, 2017 7:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Sam Neogi,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I have checked your shared log files and found the following error message from the vs_minshellmsi installation log:

>> Warning: Local cached package 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\96b810e.msi' is missing.

>> Product: vs_minshellmsi -- Error 1714. The older version of vs_minshellmsi cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.  System Error 1612.

It looks like the previous version of vs_minshellmsi failed to uninstall caused by the missing/inaccessible source, please confirm this package 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\96b810e.msi' is existing or not. If it is existing, make sure the administrator account is the ownership and have full control on this package.

If the above package not existing, please have a look at this similar issue: Cannot install VS 2017 Community Old msi and run the command: InstallCleanup.exe -full to clean up the previous version of VS 2017, then re-run the VS 2017 installer as administrator and repair it.

Or go to your shared log folders, open MsiInv.txt and search ‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.MinShell.Msi.msi’ to find the product code, use the command: msiexec /x <product code> to uninstall this. For the detail information, please check:Using MsiInv to gather information about what is installed on a computer

If it is not works, please check this: The older version of vs_minshellmsi cannot be removed. Since the folder C:\Windows\Installer is a system directory and this is where Windows installer keeps a stripped down copy of the older MSI package and you need to repair the OS or reinstall the OS (the last option).

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 01, 2017 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Sam Neogi,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I have checked your shared log files and found the following error message from the vs_minshellmsi installation log:

>> Warning: Local cached package 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\96b810e.msi' is missing.

>> Product: vs_minshellmsi -- Error 1714. The older version of vs_minshellmsi cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.  System Error 1612.

It looks like the previous version of vs_minshellmsi failed to uninstall caused by the missing/inaccessible source, please confirm this package 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\96b810e.msi' is existing or not. If it is existing, make sure the administrator account is the ownership and have full control on this package.

If the above package not existing, please have a look at this similar issue: Cannot install VS 2017 Community Old msi and run the command: InstallCleanup.exe -full to clean up the previous version of VS 2017, then re-run the VS 2017 installer as administrator and repair it.

Or go to your shared log folders, open MsiInv.txt and search ‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.MinShell.Msi.msi’ to find the product code, use the command: msiexec /x <product code> to uninstall this. For the detail information, please check:Using MsiInv to gather information about what is installed on a computer

If it is not works, please check this: The older version of vs_minshellmsi cannot be removed. Since the folder C:\Windows\Installer is a system directory and this is where Windows installer keeps a stripped down copy of the older MSI package and you need to repair the OS or reinstall the OS (the last option).

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 01, 2017 6:34 AM
  • Thank Sara!

I had transferred my Windows 10 environment from one laptop to a new one using Laplink PC Mover. Although all programs worked but it will not install a new VS 2017 version due to the missing files in \windows\Installer folder. Based on your direction, I was able to move all the msi files from the old laptop and finally got VS 2017 Community Edition installed.

Regards,

Sam Neogi

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:16 PM
  • Hi Sam Neogi,

It's my pleasure to help you and so glad to hear that your issue is solved, thank you for your sharing and it will help other community members who meet the same or similar issue.

If you have any other issues about VS IDE in the future, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &quot;Unmark as Answer&quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 1:38 AM