none
How to convert a template from 2003 to 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a word template which has a macro in 2003. I would like to convert it to 2010 version.

I am not sure what I need to do. do I need to convert it to 2010 or rewrite it?

If I have to convert it, please explain how to do that.

I remember one guy told me if I convert a template which has a macro from 2003 to 2010, the macro will be gone. I am not sure if this is true.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Robbie

I think we're perhaps not using the same terminology to mean the same thing...

When I say "open" a file in Word it means "open that file as a document", whether it's a *.dot(x,m) or a *.doc(x,m). The actual file is opened for editing. You must open the *.dot using File/Open and save it as a *.dotm.

Then you can double-click the *.dotm, which will create a new document based on the *.dotm. The *.dotm will be attached to the document and you will be able to access the macros contained in the *.dotm.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by RobbieDotNet Friday, January 25, 2013 1:23 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Robbie

Open the file in Word 2010 (or 2007) - the macro should still be there, all fine and dandy.

Where you could run into a problem is when it comes time to save the template and you want it in the new file format. Word will not offer to save it automatically as *.dotm, it will default to *.dotx. If you then save without changing to *.dotm the macro will be lost.

Also, if you try to open a *.dotm template in Word 2003 the macro would be lost.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:46 PM
  • I saved it the way you told me, but the macro (autonew) disappeared in the 2010 template. please advise.
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:44 AM
  • Hi Robbie

Did you follow my steps very carefully? Did you OPEN the template, not create a new document from it? You canNOT double-click it in Windows Explorer, that does not open a template. You need to use File/Open in Word 2010.

I just tested here and it worked just fine...

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:22 PM
  • I created a new document from it and saved it in a different directory. but when I double clicked on the new document, the template opened but the macro is wiped out.

we were able to double click on 2003 template to open it, I am not sure why you said I can't double click on it in 2010 and I have to use File/Open. If possible, can you note the steps for me please?

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Hi Robbie

I think we're perhaps not using the same terminology to mean the same thing...

When I say "open" a file in Word it means "open that file as a document", whether it's a *.dot(x,m) or a *.doc(x,m). The actual file is opened for editing. You must open the *.dot using File/Open and save it as a *.dotm.

Then you can double-click the *.dotm, which will create a new document based on the *.dotm. The *.dotm will be attached to the document and you will be able to access the macros contained in the *.dotm.

• Marked as answer by RobbieDotNet Friday, January 25, 2013 1:23 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Thanks for your help!
    Friday, January 25, 2013 1:22 PM