What are the cons & pros of a Lightswitch desktop client vs a web client ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am specially interested in the load time and performance aspects.

Is there any difference in the time it takes to do batch updates ( e.g. insert 50 records )?

Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:49 PM

Answers

• Do you really have to decide web deployment vs desktop deployment up front? Go with one or the other and if you find it doesn't work as anticipated then you just change the type and redeploy. it has been a while since I've done new Silverlight development in LS, but from memory the difference between web deployment vs desktop deployment is only radio button selection that can be made at any time.

Whether you save one record at a time is perhaps linked to how the user interface works. If it is one editable grid then it won't be so easy to save each record. However, if it is a "Enter activity & hours and click [Ok] to complete or [Next] for next activity then you could easily save each activity on the [Next] button click.

Regards, Xander. My Blog

Friday, August 1, 2014 3:44 AM

All replies

• The HTML client is more performant from both a load and perceived general UI point of view than the Silverlight client. Obviously the HTML client is where the future lies with LS technology, so the all the R&D goes into improving the HTML client. MS do not develop the Silverlight client at all anymore, although they will still support it for the foreseeable future.

How are you proposing to do batch inserting? Manually adding 50 records and clicking the save button or loading it via something like a CSV file?

If you are referring to loading a CSV file then you should perhaps always upload that file to the server and let the server do the batch insert using server side C# code with either standard ADO or using the LS server side ApplicationContext. You could add an HTTP handler to the server project to receive the file and process it.

I would recommend doing batch inserts server side with either of the HTML client or the Silverlight client actually. That sort of operation is just better suited to server side processing.

HTH

Regards, Xander. My Blog

Friday, August 1, 2014 12:06 AM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your answer. I am not planning on using the HTML client. I have several controls which I am using whose functionality I would find hard to replace using HTML ( grid with multiple selection, sorting , filtering and charts ).

The 50 records will be created manually .

Do you still recomend doing the server side stuff for 50 manually entered records? It seems like overkill to me.

Friday, August 1, 2014 12:29 AM
  • If the user will be manually adding 50 records then it would be OK to submit all the records from the client, when running as a web client, but what happens if something goes wrong half way through adding those records and the user has to start over?

Is there any reason why these records have to be added in a single batch as opposed to one at a time? If they must be added all in one batch, perhaps look at adding them one at a time with a status = Pending and when the user finishes the batch you send a command to the server to change the status of all Pending records to Submitted (effectively submitting the whole batch in one go). That way the user will not lose work if the machine reboots half way through the data entry process.

Regards, Xander. My Blog

Friday, August 1, 2014 2:01 AM
  • It's a time sheet : with one or two activities per day ( in a perfect world they would update every day... the harsh reality is they will probably update until the month is closing).

Yes, they can probably save once for each record , or I could probably forcé saving every 5 records ... but I am wondering if that isn't a bit obtrusive.

I am still unsure if I should use the desktop or the web client.

The advantage of the desktop client seems to be that it will download only once, while the web client seems to be downloading every single time I access the web page.

Other advantages seem to be that loading from Excel is a lot easier than doing it from the web client ( I have managed to perform the import from flat files but it requires about 20 lines of code vs 1 in the desktop client ).

Friday, August 1, 2014 2:17 AM
  • Do you really have to decide web deployment vs desktop deployment up front? Go with one or the other and if you find it doesn't work as anticipated then you just change the type and redeploy. it has been a while since I've done new Silverlight development in LS, but from memory the difference between web deployment vs desktop deployment is only radio button selection that can be made at any time.

Whether you save one record at a time is perhaps linked to how the user interface works. If it is one editable grid then it won't be so easy to save each record. However, if it is a "Enter activity & hours and click [Ok] to complete or [Next] for next activity then you could easily save each activity on the [Next] button click.

Regards, Xander. My Blog

Friday, August 1, 2014 3:44 AM