Has anyone used InMobi Ads Service in his/her app?

General discussion

• Hi all,

I received an e-mail today from Windows Store which mentions about InMobi Ads Service that's available for Windows 8 apps anymore. Has anyone previously used this service in Android or iOS apps to monetize? I'd like to learn your experiences (comparing with other services such as Microsoft Pubcenter) if you used. 

http://www.inmobi.com/developers/

Regards,
    Tolga

Friday, May 17, 2013 1:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As no one answerded this so far....you might try it out yourself and give us some feedback...

Berndt

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:17 PM
  • I'll update my Windows Store app nowadays. Then I'll share my experience here.
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

I tried it and I stumbeled upon this:

http://developer.inmobi.com/wiki/index.php?title=InMobi_Ad_SDK_for_Windows_8_Store_Applications

"Can I get ads on Windows 8 laptops and desktops?
    No, InMobi serves ads only on tablets running Windows RT, and not Windows 8 Pro."

at first I thought they mean real desktop applications but no:

"What happens if I integrate InMobi Windows RT SDK on Windows 8 Pro?
    The SDK will not throw any exception, but ads will not be served, and ad requests will fail with a network error."

This is what happened to me while trying to run my app on my computer.

But maybe I did something wrong. Or am I right?

If I am right, who would want something like this? I think most computers are real Win8 computers and not just RT?

Best Regards

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hi,

I tried it and I stumbeled upon this:

"Can I get ads on Windows 8 laptops and desktops?
    No, InMobi serves ads only on tablets running Windows RT, and not Windows 8 Pro."

at first I thought they mean real desktop applications but no:

"What happens if I integrate InMobi Windows RT SDK on Windows 8 Pro?
    The SDK will not throw any exception, but ads will not be served, and ad requests will fail with a network error."

This is what happened to me while trying to run my app on my computer.

But maybe I did something wrong. Or am I right?

If I am right, who would want something like this? I think most computers are real Win8 computers and not just RT?

Best Regards

Hello piratezstick

Disclaimer: I work for InMobi.

Just came across this thread and even though this reply is slightly dated, i think it'll be useful for devs.

The Windows phone/tablet eco-system is rather messy, imho. Thus there are different InMobi Ad SDKs based on what platform you are targeting. You can check it at http://www.inmobi dot com/support/article/?id=24114182. (i'm not able to post links here for some reason)

Now coming to your question, InMobi as an ad network does not serve ads on desktops and laptops. As you pointed out, you will be able to install the SDK on a machine running Windows 8, but at our backend there is a userAgent check which determines what system (i.e phone, tablet, desktop) is being used. If the userAgent is a laptop or a desktop the ad will not be served.

Hope that cleared things up. Do let me know if you have any more questions :)

• Edited by SohanM Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:10 AM grammar
    Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:09 AM
  • Hi,

I do have another question: Why?

You say you are only serving ads to tablets but as I understand it you only serve ads to WinRT.

You are aware that there are several tablets out there with a real Windows 8?

And you are aware that less than 10% of all Windows 8 devices have WinRT? Which is a very good point in considering whether a developer would integrate this in an app.

And I'd really like to know whats the difference between tablet and laptop in your understanding. There are several devices out there which are tablet and laptop at the same time. And how would you describe a Surface RT with attached keyboard? And whats the difference to a Surface Pro? I just don't see it.

Regards

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 12:53 AM
  • Hi,

I do have another question: Why?

You say you are only serving ads to tablets but as I understand it you only serve ads to WinRT.

You are aware that there are several tablets out there with a real Windows 8?

And you are aware that less than 10% of all Windows 8 devices have WinRT? Which is a very good point in considering whether a developer would integrate this in an app.

And I'd really like to know whats the difference between tablet and laptop in your understanding. There are several devices out there which are tablet and laptop at the same time. And how would you describe a Surface RT with attached keyboard? And whats the difference to a Surface Pro? I just don't see it.

Regards

Well, the thing is its a company policy to support only mobile and tablets, and nothing else. Obviously there might be ambiguities such as those you mentioned but there are certain parameters we check in the backed and only if they are satisfied, are the ads served.

Or to paraphrase Justice Potter Stewart, "we'll know it when we see it" :-)

Friday, September 13, 2013 6:55 AM
  • There is only one word for this: Stupid. I guess you guys are not that serious about support Windows platform. Surface Pro is as much of a tablet as one could wish for and the Windows 8 ecosystem has opportunities up for grabs. I guess if you want to just sit on it even with a working SDK, maybe somebody else will snatch the opportunity in time. For now though, I'll pass on InMobi.
    Sunday, January 05, 2014 10:44 PM
  • Wow, that explains all the network errors, InMobi support couldn't/wouldn't explain this to me...

@SohanM:

1. I have seen only network errors from inmobi, are you sure InMobi really works on RT tablets?
    2. Could you explain to us why this company policy is implemented? The only reason I can think of is because there is not enough ads to serve all platforms, which I would find a reasonable explanation, am I right?
    3. Do you have plans to fully support Windows 8/8.1 in the future?
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Hi Tolga,

Have u got any other third party advertising for windows Store 8 Apps? I could see most of the advertising are available only for Mobiles and not supported for windowsStoreApps. Some time PubCenter also not showing ads :(

Regards,

Senthil

Friday, March 21, 2014 4:29 PM
  • Well this certainly explains why I couldn't get the ads working in my Windows 8.1 apps. I've gone back and forth with inMobi and there seems to be some kind of barrier to understanding happening. They're tough to deal with.

For now I guess I'll stick with ads from Microsoft and LeadBolt.

For what it's worth I'll give my experience so far:

Microsoft

Great that they updated the pubcenter UI. In the last six months I've notice the ad fill rate steadily rising. In January it started out around filling ads only about 25% of the time. Now it's up to almost 40% and seems to be climbing fast. No trouble with integration.

LeadBolt

Great UI for managing ads. Great customer service. You're actually assigned an agent right after you sign up. I think these guys work 24X7 because most of my development is Sunday night and they still respond within 10 minutes! Integration is pretty easy because this one ad type they have called "Interstitial" auto stretches. So you just put it on your page and set the height and width and it'll resize.

Only been using them for less than a month and still haven't seen any revenue from them. Their fill rate looks pretty solid though.

Mark

Sunday, July 06, 2014 4:10 PM
  • my experience if anyone is interested:

Microsoft

Same as Mark with the fill rate. ecpm is always over 1usd.

Leadbolt

I used this for a few weeks as well. But they only offered pay for click campaigns and the CTR of their ads was very bad compared to Microsoft. They have pretty ugly ads. So I ended up with less than 0.1 ecpm.

Tapit

They offer ads as well but only for the US market. Fill rate in the US was around 20% but less than 0.1ecpm too.

Huntmads

They only have campaigns for and I quote "Latin America and US Hispanic". I tried this too but fill rate is very poor as well and ecpm was more like under 0.01

Mobfox

This could be interesting. They allow you to use their ads in a windows app as well. But I don't know how this will work out yet. Until now the fill rate and ecpm are very bad but we'll see.

In the end I would say that Microsoft is the only usable ad provider even though the fill rate is low.

Are there any other companies offering ads for win8?

Sunday, July 06, 2014 11:11 PM