none
Serial port number keeps incrementing RRS feed

• Question

• Our device appears to the system as a serial port.

The first time we install it, it shows up as mapped to "COM3" in the device manager.

We uninstall the driver, reinstall it, and now it shows up as "COM4".

Any idea on what we are missing in the .INF file (or the driver code itself) so that it does not release the serial port name mapping?

Thanks,

Peter Steinberg

Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:43 PM

Answers

• The uninstall part is key here. if it is just the MSI being uninstalled and not uninstalling the sw on the devnode, the com port number increasing makes sense because the com port number database has no idea com3 is now uninstalled

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:16 PM

All replies

• there is nothing in the INF that controls reclaiming of the com port number. what device class in the INF are you using? when you say "uninstall", what specific actions are you taking to uninstall?  what OS?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:58 PM
  • I'm not exactly certain of the activities.

The driver files are installed in the driver cache by an MSI installer.

I'll have to find the people who put together the MSI and see what exactly they are doing.

Windows 7, "Ports" device class

Friday, October 25, 2013 2:49 PM
  • The uninstall part is key here. if it is just the MSI being uninstalled and not uninstalling the sw on the devnode, the com port number increasing makes sense because the com port number database has no idea com3 is now uninstalled

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Thanks!

That gives me a good clue on what to point the installer people at.

Peter

Friday, October 25, 2013 8:50 PM