How to make TextBox stretch horizontally to fill width of ListBox? RRS feed

• Question

• In the following XAML, the first two TextBoxes fill the horizontal width of the StackPanel by default.  But regardless of whether I add HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" or HorizontalContentAlignment="Stretch" attributes to the following ListBoxes, their TextBoxes will not fill the full width of the ListBox.

How can I get that effect without using fixed widths?

<StackPanel>
        <TextBox Text="abc1" />

<Grid>
            <TextBox Text="abc2" />
        </Grid>

<ListBox>
            <TextBox Text="abc3" />
        </ListBox>

<ListBox>
            <Grid>
                <TextBox Text="abc4" />
            </Grid>
        </ListBox>
    </StackPanel>

Thanks,
    Phil

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:30 PM

Answers

• For anyone interested, I found the following to be the a good fix for this problem

private void Grid_Loaded(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
    {
      Grid vGrid = (Grid)sender;
      ContentPresenter vPresenter = vGrid.Parent as ContentPresenter;
      if (vPresenter != null)
        vPresenter.HorizontalAlignment =
    HorizontalAlignment.Stretch;
    }

Note that Grid has to be the first child element in the ListBox ItemTemplate.

I am overriding the default style to hide the borders of the listbox, so I have an <ItemsPresenter> in my style. I hoped it would be sufficient to set it's HorizontalAlignment, but no luck with that. The above sample was also tested with the default ListBox style.

Other suggestions posted here was a bit messy, as they required direct references to other elements or were setting a fixed width (causing resize/scrollbar problems)

Regards,

Roar

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:31 AM
  • The listbox item not extending it's width to the full width of the ListBox is a known issue since bata1. The method I posted is just a workaround.

You need to use a grid as a container, then on loaded function set the Grid width = ListBox.Width. Then the content inside the Grid should work the same way as everywhere else when you put the control in a Grid. Some controls will always stretch to the container size by default unless you specify the width, some may not by default. Then you can set 'HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" for those controls.

If your ListBox width change dynamically you can set the Grid.Width again when your ListBox resized.

You can catch ListBox.SizeChanged event. On that event hander,  you reset bining of your ListBox (ListBox.ItemsControl= null, ListBox.ItemsControl = theList), the Grid_Loaded event will be called again.

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:17 PM

All replies

•  <ListBox x:Name="List">
               <Grid Loaded="Grid_Loaded">
                    <TextBox Text="abc3" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch"/>                   
               </Grid>
    </ListBox>

{
                FrameworkElement g = sender as FrameworkElement;
                g.Width = List.ActualWidth - 6;  // make the grid the same width as the listbox (- some border width)
            }

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Hi sladapter,

Thanks for your help.  Your code works fine for me.

1) Now for a refinement: What's the best way to get the width of the TextBox to dynamically adapt to changing widths of the ListBox?

I tried the following similar binding approach based on  http://silverlight.net/forums/p/16044/53414.aspx#53414, but the width of the TextBox does not change as the ListBox width changes:

private void Grid_Loaded( object sender, RoutedEventArgs e )
        {
            Grid g = sender as Grid;

Binding b = new Binding( "ActualWidth" );
            b.Source = this.MyListBox;
            b.Mode = BindingMode.OneWay;

g.SetBinding( Grid.WidthProperty, b );

}

2) I would have expected with all the 10E9 templates involved in SL that I could just sprinkle a 'HorizontalAlignment="Stretch"' somewhere in one of those templates and get this to work.  Are you saying at this time there is no "more standard" way to do this?

Thanks again,
    Phil

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:34 PM
  • The listbox item not extending it's width to the full width of the ListBox is a known issue since bata1. The method I posted is just a workaround.

You need to use a grid as a container, then on loaded function set the Grid width = ListBox.Width. Then the content inside the Grid should work the same way as everywhere else when you put the control in a Grid. Some controls will always stretch to the container size by default unless you specify the width, some may not by default. Then you can set 'HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" for those controls.

If your ListBox width change dynamically you can set the Grid.Width again when your ListBox resized.

You can catch ListBox.SizeChanged event. On that event hander,  you reset bining of your ListBox (ListBox.ItemsControl= null, ListBox.ItemsControl = theList), the Grid_Loaded event will be called again.

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:17 PM
  • >The listbox item not extending it's width to the full width of the ListBox is
    >a known issue since beta1. The method I posted is just a workaround.

Ok, that makes sense.  Glad to know it's not just me.

Thanks again,
    Phil

Monday, June 23, 2008 6:08 PM
  • For anyone interested, I found the following to be the a good fix for this problem

{
      Grid vGrid = (Grid)sender;
      ContentPresenter vPresenter = vGrid.Parent as ContentPresenter;
      if (vPresenter != null)
        vPresenter.HorizontalAlignment =
    HorizontalAlignment.Stretch;
    }

Note that Grid has to be the first child element in the ListBox ItemTemplate.

I am overriding the default style to hide the borders of the listbox, so I have an <ItemsPresenter> in my style. I hoped it would be sufficient to set it's HorizontalAlignment, but no luck with that. The above sample was also tested with the default ListBox style.

Other suggestions posted here was a bit messy, as they required direct references to other elements or were setting a fixed width (causing resize/scrollbar problems)

Regards,

Roar

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:31 AM
  • Roar,

I like your solution.  It is similar to this one: http://silverlight.net/forums/p/19001/64724.aspx#64724 but without having to copy, paste and alter the default ListBoxItem template.

Phil

Friday, July 11, 2008 12:20 PM
  • Thanks Phil,

I was looking for where that left alignment was set and found it by your link. If I knew I would have prefered this solution, as it would solve the problem at it's source and not using code to force it to order.

Glad my post was apreciated anyway :)

- roar

Friday, July 11, 2008 1:09 PM
  • HI, this is definitely a better work-around than setting width.

Don't know why the default template for ListBoxItem and DataGrid did not set this. That should have saved us a lot of efforts.

Friday, July 11, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Hi to all of you!Unfortunately in RC0 it doesn’t work. My grids parent is null so obviously I can not set its HorizontalAlignment property. Any other workaround or any idea how to stretch in my case a button?Regards,7of9

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Yes, I can confirm this. The ListItem control no longer has parent in rc0. I was hoping they fixed this problem in this release so we don't have to do this workaround anymore. No, they did not fix the problem either but also break our workaround.  What can we say?

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 12:44 PM
  • OK, I found out how to do this. Now we need to use VisualTreeHelper.GetParent function to find the parent:

{
                FrameworkElement t = sender as FrameworkElement;
                ContentPresenter p = VisualTreeHelper.GetParent(t) as ContentPresenter;           
                p.HorizontalAlignment = HorizontalAlignment.Stretch;            
            }
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Thank you. It works now. Only one thing I have to add so the solution will be complete, that we havet to include System.Windows.Media in order to be able to use VisualTreeHelper.

Anyway it works now, thank you for the solution.

Regards,

7of9 

Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:12 AM
  • Here's my workaround for this.  This will make all items default to stretch alignment, but you can still override that behavior by adding an AutoSizeListBoxItem with a different HorizontalContentAlignment or VerticalContentAlignment.

Add these two classes to your project and use AutoSizeListBox instead of ListBox.

public class AutoSizeListBox : ListBox
    {
        protected override DependencyObject GetContainerForItemOverride()
        {
            AutoSizeListBoxItem item = new AutoSizeListBoxItem {
                HorizontalContentAlignment = HorizontalAlignment.Stretch,
                VerticalContentAlignment = VerticalAlignment.Stretch };

if (ItemContainerStyle != null)
            {
                item.Style = ItemContainerStyle;
            }

return item;
        }
    }

public class AutoSizeListBoxItem : ListBoxItem
    {
        public override void OnApplyTemplate()
        {
            base.OnApplyTemplate();

ContentPresenter presenter = GetTemplateChild("contentPresenter") as ContentPresenter;
            if (presenter != null)
            {
                presenter.SetBinding(ContentPresenter.HorizontalAlignmentProperty,
                    new Binding { Source = this, Path = new PropertyPath("HorizontalContentAlignment") });
                presenter.SetBinding(ContentPresenter.VerticalAlignmentProperty,
                    new Binding { Source = this, Path = new PropertyPath("VerticalContentAlignment") });
            }
        }
    }

I know, the name sucks.  I thought about ListBoxEx or some such thing.  It's a shame MSFT didn't fix this in the runtime back in beta, because it would have been an extremely simple fix IMHO.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

This works great if you have only one TextBox. If you have multiple TextBoxes in a StackPanel the first one is correctly stretched. The second one is stretched if you enter some data in the first one.

Another observation is the only the first one is correctly redrawn if you resize the browser

Sunday, November 2, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Thanks sladapter, all. SilverLight is wildly inconsistent w/ control and contract expectations... so, so annoying.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:57 PM
  • OK, I found out how to do this. Now we need to use VisualTreeHelper.GetParent function to find the parent:

{
                FrameworkElement t = sender as FrameworkElement;
                ContentPresenter p = VisualTreeHelper.GetParent(t) as ContentPresenter;           
                p.HorizontalAlignment = HorizontalAlignment.Stretch;            
            }

This answer works for me - thanks for taking the time to supply it - I was just about to pull my hair out and then discovered your post.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 7:08 AM

• Monday, May 11, 2009 9:49 AM
  •  Another cool and simple way to achieve the same,

http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/p/117276/263985.aspx 

Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:26 AM
  •  Another cool and simple way to achieve the same,

http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/p/117276/263985.aspx 

Thanks chaitanyavrk, that solved my problem very nicely!

Monday, August 9, 2010 10:54 PM
  • At least in SL4 and implicit styling you can simply add somewhere in the ListBox resource scope:

<Style TargetType="ListBoxItem">
                <Setter Property="HorizontalContentAlignment" Value="Stretch"/>
            </Style>

</Style>

Friday, January 7, 2011 10:34 AM
  • At least in SL4 and implicit styling you can simply add somewhere in the ListBox resource scope:

</Style>

</Style>

That doesn't seem to stretch the content for me.  Well, I'm trying to use a stackpanel or dockPanel.  But I'm using silverlight 4, any.  I was hoping I could just use:

Binding b = new Binding("ActualWidth");

b.Mode = BindingMode.OneWay;

b.Source = listBoxTasks;

spEntry.SetBinding(DockPanel.WidthProperty, b);

but i just seem to get a 0 width;

Monday, January 17, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Ok i have been messing with this a long time but the best way to get this working ( at least in silverlight 4 ) it with this adding to your current page or the app.xaml resources:

</Style>
    <Style TargetType="ListBox">
        <Setter Property="Template">
            <Setter.Value>
                <ControlTemplate TargetType="ListBox">
                    <ScrollViewer 
                        HorizontalContentAlignment="Stretch" 
                        BorderBrush="{TemplateBinding BorderBrush}" 
                        BorderThickness="{TemplateBinding BorderThickness}" 
                        Background="{TemplateBinding Background}" 
                        Foreground="{TemplateBinding Foreground}" 
                        Padding="{TemplateBinding Padding}">
                        <ItemsPresenter HorizontalAlignment="Stretch"/>
                    </ScrollViewer>
                </ControlTemplate>
            </Setter.Value>
        </Setter>
    </Style>

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:13 AM
  • Also - by adding 

VerticalScrollBarVisibility="Auto"

to the ScrollViewer, you will get rid of the always enabled scrollbars. This makes a big difference if you have nested Listboxes.

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:54 AM
  • You can use:

<ListBox>
      <ListBox.ItemContainerStyle>
          <Setter Property="HorizontalAlignment" Value="Stretch" />
        </Style>
      </ListBox.ItemContainerStyle>
      <TextBox />
    </ListBox>

• Edited by Proactiv-IT Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:10 PM error in closing tag
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:08 PM
  • Excellent. This was the only thing to work for me. Thanks!
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:05 PM