How to update windows 8 app's default tile according to device/system language in XAML/C# project

Question

• We want to implement localized Tiles/Lives Tiles for Windows 8(Store) app as per our client's requirement, The functionality of Live Tiles should be following :

All icons/images of Default Tiles ( small(70x70), medium(150x150) ,wide(310x150)) are different for each language that will be changed according to the device/system's current language at runtime( if user changes the system language).

We have implemented it some how in Windows phone8, now client wants same feature/functionality in windows 8's(Store) build also, but we are unable to find any solution.

We have a submission closing in and would like to know if we can implement it in unity or with unity plugin and how it can be resolved or any workarounds or alternatives to implement it.

If you know any solution with native XAML,C# implementation/solution or any alternatives for that please let us know.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    This is not the solution you maybe want but this could help.
    First you should create a background task for lock Screen (Timer) and every time the tasks run you check the current language , if the user change the language then you clear the live tiles and put the tiles specified for this language.

The problem with this solution is it requires some time to check the current language which means that the tiles will not change once you change the language but it will take sometime to change.

I think this workaround would help.

Regards,

Ibraheem Osama Mohamed | My Blog | @IbraheemOM | My Website

(If my reply answers your question, please propose it as an answer)

Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:54 PM

• Thanks for your reply bu now we are facing another problem.Whenever we resize the tile then first it will show the default tile and after some time(1 sec) it updates the tile according current language.please tell us how we can solve this problem.
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:07 AM
  • See Globalization and accessibility for tile and toast notifications

Running a background task to poll the current language and reset tiles is quite overkill.

--Rob

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:17 AM