Sql Server Spatial Data Base Back Up and Restore RRS feed

• Question

• I am using sql server 2008 R2.

We have a spatial sql server data base, I been taking the back up and restoring in another server's.

Just heard from colleague that, When we restore the spatial data base the Identity columns in different tables will not be restored as same as the source data (from the back up, he say's it starts from 1 again) ....

Does copying the .ldf & .mdf files and attaching in different server's will work fine? (Identity columns in different tables will same as the source database?)

Is this true?  

Is Sql Server Spatial data base is different from the normal data base? Does it function differently? 

I Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks

TOM

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:34 PM

Answers

• Just heard from colleague that, When we restore the spatial data base the Identity columns in different tables will not be restored as same as the source data (from the back up, he say's it starts from 1 again) ....

Hello Tom,

That's not correct, with a restore you get an exact 1:1 copy of your source database with the same data / identity values; otherwise a backup/restore wouldn't make sense.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

• Marked as answer by MkrTOM Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:03 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:54 AM

All replies

• Just heard from colleague that, When we restore the spatial data base the Identity columns in different tables will not be restored as same as the source data (from the back up, he say's it starts from 1 again) ....

Hello Tom,

That's not correct, with a restore you get an exact 1:1 copy of your source database with the same data / identity values; otherwise a backup/restore wouldn't make sense.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

• Marked as answer by MkrTOM Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:03 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:54 AM
  • Olaf,

Thank You!

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:04 PM