Migrating an ASP.NET 2.0 application to Visual Studio 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• User-171414861 posted

I support an ASP.,NET 2.0 application that cannot be upgraded at this time.

Our "shop" is adopting Visual Studio 2012 as our development tool.

Our developer machines cannot have IIS installed locally, so we have to use whatever comes with Visual Studio (IIS Express 8?).

I have been assigned to test migrating and maintaining the ASP.NET 2.0 app in Visual Studio 2012.

Can someone tell me what issues I will have to deal with and the solutions for them?

Thanks.

Saturday, February 8, 2014 7:52 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi dixa

Thanks for your feedback.

doxa

Our developer machines cannot have IIS installed locally, so we have to use whatever comes with Visual Studio (IIS Express 8?).

According to your description above, you can't install IIS on your machines. For this situation, you need use IIS Express with Visual Studio 2012. If you develop your asp.net 2.0 app in previous Visual Studio version, such as VS 2010, VS 2008, etc. You can open it in VS 2012, VS has backward compatibility.

To specify the Web server for a Web application project by using project properties

1. In Solution Explorer, right-click the name of the Web application project for which you want to specify a Web server, and then click Properties.

2. In the Properties window, click the Web tab.

3. To choose the Visual Studio Development Server, under Servers, click Use Visual Studio Development Server.

4. To use a specific port number with the Visual Studio Development Server, select Specific port and enter the port number. By default, the Auto-assign Port option is selected, and the port number that has been assigned to your application appears.

5. To choose IIS, under Servers, select Local IIS Web server. This option is not available if IIS is not enabled on your computer. A URL that combines localhost with the name of your Web application will automatically be created for you and appear in the Project URL box (for example, http://localhost/WebApplication1).

6. To choose IIS Express, under Servers, select Local IIS Web server, and then select Use IIS Express. A URL with a random port number is automatically created for you and appears in the Project URL box (for example, http://localhost:2616/). The IIS Express option is unavailable if you do not have IIS Express installed on your computer, or if you are using a version of Visual Studio earlier than 2010 SP1.

7. To choose a custom Web server, select Use Custom Web Server. In the Server URL box, type the URL that Visual Studio should start when it runs the current project.

Best regards

Angie Xu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 9:47 PM