windows universal app section data

Question

• First off apologies if this has been asked previously - feel free to point me in the right direction if it has.

I'm trying to write a Universal Hub App for Windows 8 & Windows Phone 8 in Visual Studio (2013 Community edition if that makes a difference) and there's a specific part of the source code I can't change/alter and to be honest it's driving me around the twist.

Here's a screenshot (of the App running) of the part I can't change:

http://postimg.org/image/aoooaid99/

In between the two pictures of the Super Mario Land box art you'll see a section called "Categories". Under that there's six sections with various grey boxes, the title "Item Title:" and then "Nintendo". I've managed to change the text so it now shows "Nintendo" but I've only changed that once and I'd like each one to be unique and to link to a unique page - one for Nintendo, Sega, NEC etc... Any ideas?

The same applies to the "Item Title" text - that I can't find anywhere. Well, that's not entirely true. There's a file called data.js that seems to contain this information but changing it doesn't seem to make much difference. I also want to change the grey images for some other images I've already prepared (logos). Again this isn't obvious to a novice Visual Studio user like me.

I'm more than happy to plough through some documentation or follow a tutorial if any one knows of a good one online somewhere.

All help appreciated. I can post the source code if that would help but regarding this particular part of the code I haven't changed much.

• Edited by Roscoe771 Wednesday, March 11, 2015 9:42 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 9:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Ross,

Not quite understand if we are on the same line.

I'd like each one to be unique and to link to a unique page - one for Nintendo, Sega, NEC etc... Any ideas?

-> Try with Hub Template you should be able to see how it implement.

I also want to change the grey images for some other images I've already prepared (logos).

-> Change data source is a direct way to implement your feature and is also suggested, MVVM pattern is a kind of separation of UI and data source. If you have the logos, you can definitely binding the path to the image control, that how it should work.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Roscoe771,

For your question, I would suggest you to create a Hub Template app in your Visual Studio so that you can see how to navigate to different pages by clicking the items on the GridView. Besides the text you mentioned below the grey boxes are from binding, try to change your data source.

Furthermore please note Windows 10 is still in preview, if you would like to have a stable performance, please work under Windows 8.1

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 2:02 AM
  • Hi James,

Editing or creating a new data source would be the best course of action?

I don't suppose you know of any in-depth tutorials on the Universal App?

Thanks,

Ross

Thursday, March 12, 2015 5:07 PM
  • Hi Ross,

Not quite understand if we are on the same line.

I'd like each one to be unique and to link to a unique page - one for Nintendo, Sega, NEC etc... Any ideas?

-> Try with Hub Template you should be able to see how it implement.

I also want to change the grey images for some other images I've already prepared (logos).

-> Change data source is a direct way to implement your feature and is also suggested, MVVM pattern is a kind of separation of UI and data source. If you have the logos, you can definitely binding the path to the image control, that how it should work.

--James

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:34 AM