Shopping Cart software Suggestions? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to add a shopping area to my web site but am not sure the best way to do this.

For now the only thing I will have are some GPX files for people to download on a pay per download basis.  So at start it should be pretty simple.  Eventually I would like to begin adding real products as I figure that side of it out. 

Things I need - or "think" I need........
    I want to use paypal as a way to pay to keep it simple on my end.
    Integrate with the site I already have created with expressionweb.
    Able to do simple downloading of files and sell standard products so I do not have to realearn another peice of software later.
    Prefer easy to learn since I know nothing about all this yet.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions?
    Thanks
    Luke

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:00 PM

Answers

• I've used CandyPress, which can handle downloadable and physical products.  The site I use it on constructs the shopping cart on the site, then sends people to PayPal to complete the payment transaction, so no payment information is gathered on or transmitted from the original site.  This leaves PayPal to handle the credit card security requirements.

There are several other systems people can recommend, too.

Check system requirements for this or any other shopping cart system to make sure your hosting account supports it.

Realize that there is a learning curve for a shopping cart, especially for setting it up to connect to your PayPal account. You'll most likely want to test that with a PayPal developer account before going live.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:19 PM

All replies

• I've used Zen Cart for download purchases but it does have a learning curve.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:07 PM
  • I've used CandyPress, which can handle downloadable and physical products.  The site I use it on constructs the shopping cart on the site, then sends people to PayPal to complete the payment transaction, so no payment information is gathered on or transmitted from the original site.  This leaves PayPal to handle the credit card security requirements.

There are several other systems people can recommend, too.

Check system requirements for this or any other shopping cart system to make sure your hosting account supports it.

Realize that there is a learning curve for a shopping cart, especially for setting it up to connect to your PayPal account. You'll most likely want to test that with a PayPal developer account before going live.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:19 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  I have to admit I am very ignorant to this and dont seem to be getting any real comfort by swimming through the information I found online.

I will not be doing a lot with my cart software at first and may never do a lot.  But there is a chance it could turn into something much larger in the future.  With that in mind I like the idea of Zencart being free since the small scale does not justify an initial outlay of cash.  Before I looked at price and considered that in the scope of what I am doing I got sucked into looking mostly at Candypress.  I think the web site was laid out better and it just attracted me more (not that the software was any better or worse).

Questions for ZenCart
    I know it will meet my imidiate needs but will it also fit my needs if my store becomes a much larger one?  I ask this only because it is free.  THere are some very good free things out there that are incredible but there are also a lot more free things that are very limited in scope and functionality.  Which category would ZenCart fit in?  Agian since I have VERY little knowledge in this area I have to ask someone that may know.

I notice ZenCart uses PHP.  That is the other reason I started to look more at Candypress.  My host supports ASP and that is what I run since I am using EW4.  Can the Zencart be used on my host?  Does the host need to support PHP as well?

If Zencart will fit larger needs in the future and can run on my host I think it is the way to go.  If it will not do these things then I may end up with Candypress.

Thanks you both for your replies!
    Luke

Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  I have to admit I am very ignorant to this and dont seem to be getting any real comfort by swimming through the information I found online.

Which part of Web development were you expecting to make you comfortable? The reason there is a lot of information online is because shopping cart software covers a wide range of capabilities and complexities, and prices, of course.

Questions for ZenCart
    I know it will meet my imidiate needs but will it also fit my needs if my store becomes a much larger one? 

ZenCart is quite scalable. If you ever outgrow its capacity, you won't need to worry about its successor. Your IT staff will take care of it for you.

I notice ZenCart uses PHP.  That is the other reason I started to look more at Candypress.  My host supports ASP and that is what I run since I am using EW4.  Can the Zencart be used on my host?  Does the host need to support PHP as well?

If Zencart will fit larger needs in the future and can run on my host I think it is the way to go.  If it will not do these things then I may end up with Candypress.

I know of no hosting providers who do not provide PHP support. There may be a question of the version level they are offering, but since PHP is free and open source, and well-supported, and available for multiple platforms, both Linux and Windows servers offer it.

ZenCart will run on any server you are likely to encounter, although in my experience installation is easier on Linux providers using something along the lines of Fantastico. It is both scalable and powerful. Whether it will meet your needs now and going forward is a decision for you to make.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:04 PM
  • If ZenCart uses PHP, then of course your hosting account needs to support PHP.  (That's what I meant by checking the system requirements for any cart software you are looking at.)

For very small stores, you could start with just PayPal "Buy Now" buttons, which require no shopping cart software on your site at all.  You get notified when someone pays, and you ship the product.  For downloads, you'd need to send a download link to the buyer.  It's up to you to manage that download link and its security so that people couldn't pass it around for others to use.

You could even try a service like Cerizmo (or google for other similar low cost services) to handle your downloads store.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:11 PM