none
360 Kinect for PC Issues. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've downloaded the Kinect SDK already. Skype and my computer recognizes the Kinect as a microphone just fine. I've tried downloading the "KinectCam.ax" file, but when I do, I end up getting an error message reading: 

The module "KinectCam.ax" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored in a specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found.

I'm really aggravated because I can't seem to find a solution to this, yet I've read so many threads and alot of people seem to have the same problem. Can anyone help? Like I said, it's already registered as a microphone, and everything in my Device Manager is good, its just the webcam part.

~Eric 

Saturday, June 8, 2013 6:18 PM

Answers

• KinectCam.ax is not a function of the Kinect for Windows SDK or the hardware. You may need to contact the author of this component to get your answers. If you are using a "release" build of the component, then you will need to have a Kinect for Windows sensor.

Kinect for Xbox can only be used in development stages of writing an application as King Nguyen noted.

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Hi,

I've downloaded the Kinect SDK already. Skype and my computer recognizes the Kinect as a microphone just fine. I've tried downloading the "KinectCam.ax" file, but when I do, I end up getting an error message reading: 

Make sure the binary is stored in a specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

I'm really aggravated because I can't seem to find a solution to this, yet I've read so many threads and alot of people seem to have the same problem. Can anyone help? Like I said, it's already registered as a microphone, and everything in my Device Manager is good, its just the webcam part.

~Eric 

I just found it, kinect for xbox may not work on PC

What's the difference between the Kinect for Windows sensor and the Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor?

The Kinect for Windows sensor is a fully-tested and supported Kinect experience on Windows with features such as “near mode,” skeletal tracking control, API improvements, and improved USB support across a range of Windows computers and Windows-specific 10’ acoustic models.

The sensor was specifically designed to be used with computers, and includes a shortened USB cable to ensure reliability across a broad range of computers. Kinect for Xbox 360 was built for and tested with the Xbox 360 only, not with any other platform, which is why it is not licensed for general commercial use, supported, or under warranty when used on any other platform.

Friday, June 14, 2013 10:21 AM

All replies

• There are my sample in KinectSDK, did you run it ?
    Sunday, June 9, 2013 1:14 PM
  • I have read some comments , and I think this runs only with the windows kinect and not with the xbox kinect. You can ask/read more here :

http://piotrsowa.eu/2013/03/17/kinect-for-pc-and-skype-means-kinectcam/

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:42 PM
  • I think there's only 1 kinect. I use my kinect from xbox 360. Please make sure that your kinect already use correct adapter and you already install correct driver, SDK
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

~Eric 

I just found it, kinect for xbox may not work on PC

What's the difference between the Kinect for Windows sensor and the Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor?

The Kinect for Windows sensor is a fully-tested and supported Kinect experience on Windows with features such as “near mode,” skeletal tracking control, API improvements, and improved USB support across a range of Windows computers and Windows-specific 10’ acoustic models.

The sensor was specifically designed to be used with computers, and includes a shortened USB cable to ensure reliability across a broad range of computers. Kinect for Xbox 360 was built for and tested with the Xbox 360 only, not with any other platform, which is why it is not licensed for general commercial use, supported, or under warranty when used on any other platform.

Friday, June 14, 2013 10:21 AM
  • KinectCam.ax is not a function of the Kinect for Windows SDK or the hardware. You may need to contact the author of this component to get your answers. If you are using a "release" build of the component, then you will need to have a Kinect for Windows sensor.

Kinect for Xbox can only be used in development stages of writing an application as King Nguyen noted.

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Hi,

~Eric 

You might  need to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

It solved this problem for me.

Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:33 AM