Version 6?? RRS feed

• Question

• My son is teaching himself game programming in C++.  The books he is using all work with C++ version 6.  Can we still get C++ version 6, or does this matter?  Any assistance will be gratefully received!

Thursday, April 6, 2006 1:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Visual C++ 6.0 is no longer available or supported but you should definitely try out Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualC/default.aspx

Thursday, April 6, 2006 1:21 PM
  • Studio 6.0 is no longer available from or supported by Microsoft, but you may still be able to find a copy if you look in the right places.

I taught a C++ course a while back (2-3 years ago) that used a book titled "C++: How To Program" (3rd Edition) by Deitel and Deitel. Not the greatest book (really for beginners) and a bit pricey ($85 on Amazon), but it included a free CD and license to what seemed to be a full version of Visual C++ 6.0, IDE, help files and all. The only catch was that every you start a program compiled by this version you get a message box that pops up saying "this program was built by the demo version blah blah blah". Obnoxious as all heck. But it's free.

I checked the info at Amazon and it wasn't clear whether the current 5th edition includes Visual C++ or not.

I'd guess that you can still find old copies of the book (and CDs?) somewhere.

Thursday, April 6, 2006 3:39 PM
  • Still, express is free so I think that is still the best to go for. Its easy to find and it's more standard compliant.
    Thursday, April 6, 2006 9:19 PM
  •  MonktonCharlie wrote:

My son is teaching himself game programming in C++.  The books he is using all work with C++ version 6.  Can we still get C++ version 6, or does this matter?  Any assistance will be gratefully received!

While VC++ Express is very good, note that it does not include MFC or ATL. Perhaps your son can get a student discount or perhaps even a student version of VC++ 2005 Standard edition?

Thursday, April 6, 2006 9:27 PM
  • Personally I would use the Express version to learn Standard C++ - maybe using this excellent book:

http://brian.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0hr_beginner_s_c__&file=a002212a

Before moving on the specific technologies like ATL and MFC.

Friday, April 7, 2006 6:42 AM
  • Alternatively, you might use the downloadable Express version (as per the links above), and searching online for some "Teach Yourslef"-type tutorials, downloading them, and doing it that way (as opposed to buying / using a book).

Personally, apart from mandatory university books from a long time ago, I've never bought a computing book, and whilst I've occasionally used an odd one from work, I've done most of my study/research online.
    Sunday, April 9, 2006 3:44 PM