none
small basic OS RRS feed

• General discussion

• It is certainly impossible to create a OS small BASIC but certain programs approach it.
    Program:TMC670
    • Changed type LOBJOIS Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:03 PM small basic Os
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:02 PM

All replies

• It is impossible to make a real OS, but you could make an emulator (with a lot of skill) sorta like the windows CE emulator.
    -Phillip Mikesell
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:11 PM
  • That would be more a simulator than an emulator. An emulator would be able to launch Windows CE applications, and I doubt you could do this with Small Basic. But you could easily make an interface that would look like windows CE.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:54 PM
  • I agree with phillips and your self, but since the objective is teaching, what if we where to have a contest to write a language using Small Basic for newbies only or a separate class for newbies,  and have Microsoft donate some books as the prize.  They usually have some for the user groups and we are a virtual user group I would argue.  We could develop a spec that all entries have to adher to.  Perhaps a deadline of Sept 30, 2010.  Give the newbies a project for the summer!
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:07 PM
  • A contest for newbie would be fun. But how would you tell if the programer is a newbie or not ?

About the OS, I think it would be fun to write something approaching it. What do wee need to make a graphical OS ? :

- A Desktop composed of a background, a clock and icons to launch programs

- A configuration panel : to change desktop background, the font, the screensaver...

- Some useful programs : a text or notes editor, a paint program, a photo viewer, a music tool...

- A few games

Of course, everything have to be included in the same code, and you wont be able to launch external programs. But we can make something very close to a real OS.

Why not making a participative project, with each user taking care of a brick ? Some programs already exists (paint, music, games..).

Friday, May 14, 2010 5:28 AM
  • The graphics capabilities of SmallBasic are just not capable of handling the complexity that would be required to produce an OS simulator.

I've been playing with creating a mini windows environment within SB (note: this is a GUI, not an OS), but I've given up on it now as SB is too basic to handle the graphics, and you can only write text to the background, not onto shapes.

Small Basic Windows (sbWin) - import code: SKD503

Fremy's extension certainly offers a bit more flexibility, but the lack of ability to put text onto anything other than the background seriously limits things.  Also handling the distributed processing necessary to allow multiple processes to operate simultaneously is problematic.

Note: you're not actually talking about an OS here. An OS is an operating system, which is designed to interact with the computer hardware at a low level. An OS then provides tools at a higher level (ie. easier for general programmers to use) for controlling the low level components. (You could never actually write an OS with smallbasic.)

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:00 PM
  • HNQ693
    Monday, May 17, 2010 4:04 PM
  • In fact, you could use a text as any shape if you use my extension.

You could even draw the lissajou curve in an image and insert it as a shape.

The main problem is more that building any app for your 'OS' would be too complex to be useful.

Fremy - Developer in VB.NET, C# and JScript ... - Feel free to try my extension
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:51 PM
  • In fact, you could use a text as any shape if you use my extension.

You could even draw the lissajou curve in an image and insert it as a shape.

Fremy - Developer in VB.NET, C# and JScript ... - Feel free to try my extension
    Excellent Fremy, didn't know that. 
    Friday, May 21, 2010 9:49 AM
  • NMS914
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Thank You!!!!!!!

I will in prove somehow!!!!
    • Edited by wtech1234 Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:43 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:42 AM