Azure and website hosting? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have websites today that uses the following :

ASP.NET 4.0, 4.5
    PHP
    3 MySQL databases
    2 Microsoft SQL databases

These websites is hosted with the domains at a regular webhost company. They are hosted in a shared environment so no virtuela computer.

My question is if its possible to host my webpages with Azure? And what will I get to what price? I have looked at the Azure webpage but are not sure if thay are offering a total solution(Webhosteing, DNS, Domainhandling and so on)? Or do I still need to host my domains at another company?

BestRegards

Sunday, May 4, 2014 11:26 AM

Answers

• Hi SnowJim,

It's very much possible to host the WebApplication and Database on Azure. The challenge is that Azure offers such variety of different options that you might have to think which combination will suit your requirement and budget best. 

You could stick everything on a single IAAS VM (you need at least 2 for being eligible for Azure SLA) or have a combination of VMs in a Virtual Network where the WebFront end and Databases are segregated and run on separate VMs. It all depends on what kind of scalability and performance is required. 

Coming to cost part you only will need to pay for the Compute cost of the VMs and the Network Egress (data that will leave the datacenter from your VMs). The internal network and domain name is given free of cost. But Azure can only provide FQDN in the format of contoso.cloudapp.net or contoso.website.net . If you need a specific domain name like www.myawesomecompany.com  then you would have to first get the domain name from one of the DNS providers and then have a CNAME created which will point to the Azure FQDN that is created for you. When users browse www.myawesomecompany.com they will be redirected to the application hosted on Azure silently. 

Regards,

Angshuman Nayak

Cloud Integration Engineering

Sunday, May 4, 2014 2:33 PM