none
Billing Information

Question

• Hello Everyone,

I have created a SQL Data Warehouse on Microsoft Azure.

I saw this link-

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/details/sql-data-warehouse/

where it says it won't charge if the data warehouse is paused but in my case it charged me after I paused the

Data Warehouse. It charged me for DWU. Is there something am I missing ?

I want to know different angles of billing on Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse.

Also my account is a Free Trial. How can I see price paid for different resources on Portal. I tried it by clicking on Billing one of the option provided in portal but it does not show much information.

One more question is I have my DWU location in West US which costs 100/hour which is more than West Central US which costs 80/hour for 100 DWU Blocks, so is there any difference between those two Services or it is just about Distance ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Akash

Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Akash,

I'm going to try to answer your questions in sequence:

Q1: Why was I billed for DWU even though you paused your DW?

A1: DWU are charged prorated on an hourly basis. You can see this in How are compute and data storage billed? section of the document that you referenced. So even if you pause, you will be charged for at least an hour.

Q2: How could I be charged with a free trial account?

A2: Were you personally charged, or was the Azure system just tracking your usage? Check to see if your spending limit is still set to $0. You can find the documentation for this https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/spending-limits/

If you are seeing yourself billed you can open a free support ticket to dispute your bill.

Q3: Why are the prices different for different locations?

A3: The prices are different by region based on internal differences that will not present any differences in service functionality or quality of service.

Hope that helps,

Casey Karst

Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:53 PM