The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Standard Template Deployment Failed / Afterwards most of the VM-Configurations greyed out RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everybody,

I registered at Azure to try a Power VM. So I picked a NC24r-Aktion (Promo), went trough the wizard and hit install. In the beginning every went fine, validation of deployment was sucessfull. Then I got an error message, saying the maschine could not be provided due to a lack of ressources. In the activity protocol I find following entry:

Just fyi, I did the procedure in German language.

Fehlercode: InvalidTemplateDeployment
    Meldung: Die Vorlagenbereitstellung "CreateVm-MicrosoftWindowsDesktop.Windows-10-rs4-p-20191102191125" ist laut Validierungsverfahren ungültig. Die Nachverfolgungs-ID lautet 4915855b-2180-4207-ab3e-311e099ac0dd. Einzelheiten finden Sie in den internen Fehlern.

I assume in English it is the following message:

The template deployment <deploymentname> is not valid according to the validation procedure. The tracking id is <CorrelationId>.

Since that time most of the VM configurations are greyed out and can't be picked any more. I don't know how to proceed. I would like to roll back by maybe checking if there is an failed installation that can be deleted.

I would admire your help.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Thanks,

Peter

Thursday, November 7, 2019 8:30 PM

All replies

• Couple of issues you could be facing

1) Quota. The VM you are trying to deploy requires 24 cores. If you using a trial subscription your limit is 4 cores. Free trial subscriptions are not eligble for increases and you will need to upgrade to a Pay as you go subscription to move forward. Otherwise, you need to select a VM that meets your quota limitations. If you already have a pay as you go subscription you might just need more quota in general and can request additional quota by reviewing the steps in the the following document: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-subscription-service-limits

2) The N Series VM are limited in quantity. By default, we set the initial N series quota to 0. You need to submit a request to the billing team in order for them to unlock the N series for you. You can read more on those steps here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sizes-gpu#ncv2-series

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-supportability/resource-manager-core-quotas-request

Thursday, November 7, 2019 11:24 PM
  • Dear Micah,

thanks for you comprehensive answer!

But I don't get it: I am invited to do a test trial with a budget of 200 dollars which I can use within 30 days to try the offered services. All options are on the table. No limit in the offered VM-sizes is visible in the selection. And when I select a maschine that is offered and called "XY-Aktion" (or Promo, to indicate there is an special offer going on), I am running into an error, have to bother you to figure out what is happening, burning my time and have a real unpleasant user experience. Why not just fade the maschines out, that are not available.

I really spent a lot of time on this.

But I still thank you for your time and help!

Best regards,

Peter

Saturday, November 9, 2019 3:09 PM
  • May I ask a further question, which is a little off topic?

I am running a F4s v2 now. But is it possible I need to install graphics driver? Blender for instance is not running and asking for a graphics card. The only hints I found so far is are advice to install drivers for the N-series.

Saturday, November 9, 2019 8:15 PM
  • The sizes won't be greyed out as you are technically eligible but if on free trial subscription you won't have enough cores for that large of a VM. So you need more cores to deploy it. You can check the limits here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-subscription-service-limits

You will see a free trial is limited to 4 cores as described in the FAQ

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/free-account-faq/

However free trials are not eligible for core increases so I suggest trying a different VM sizes that you have enough cores core. 

For the F series they do not have the GPUs. So Blender won't work on that size. Only the N series have the GPUs. 

So all in all, what you are trying to do won't work for a free trial subscription. You can use other general purpose VM sizes but will need to upgrade the subscription to run the N series or request more cores. 

Monday, November 11, 2019 5:29 PM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:23 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

Thanks.
    Friday, November 29, 2019 10:13 AM