none
MsiNetAssemblySupport property incorrect on some Windows 7 machines RRS feed

• Question

• Our product requires .Net Framework 2.0. We are using the property MsiNetAssemblySupport to detect the presence of the correct version of .Net Framework in our Setup. It works in almost all cases, however, lately we have had customers with Windows 7 machines where this property is not working. When we look at the detailed setup logs this property is not even printed at all in the log file.

Since Windows 7 has .Net Framework 2.0 as part of the OS, I am assuming this is clearly a bug in the property. Any ideas on what could be going wrong? Also, is there a better way to do this?

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Himanshu Vasishth,

After I checked your post, your concern is focused on if .Net Framework 2.0 was installed correctly on Windows 7. If yes, please check the following suggestions.

Windows 7 includes .Net Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 by default. If your machine was installed .Net Framework the above versions of framework, you can find the register’s values in your registry.

For example:

.Net Framework 2.0 SP2, you will check the following keys in your registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727

Name: Install, Type: REG_DWORD, Data: 1

Name: SP, Type: REG_DWORD, Data: 2

For more information, you can check this KB.

In addition, I suggest you can download .Net Framework Verification Tool to verify if .Net Framework was installed on your machine.

If the verification failed, I suggest you turn Microsoft 3.5.1 off and on and try it again. Please check here for more information about how to turn 3.5.1 off and on.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Himanshu Vasishth,

After I checked your post, your concern is focused on if .Net Framework 2.0 was installed correctly on Windows 7. If yes, please check the following suggestions.

Windows 7 includes .Net Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 by default. If your machine was installed .Net Framework the above versions of framework, you can find the register’s values in your registry.

For example:

.Net Framework 2.0 SP2, you will check the following keys in your registry.

Name: Install, Type: REG_DWORD, Data: 1

Name: SP, Type: REG_DWORD, Data: 2

For more information, you can check this KB.

In addition, I suggest you can download .Net Framework Verification Tool to verify if .Net Framework was installed on your machine.

If the verification failed, I suggest you turn Microsoft 3.5.1 off and on and try it again. Please check here for more information about how to turn 3.5.1 off and on.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:09 AM
  • OK, we can switch to using registry keys for detecting the presence of .NET Framework. So does that imply that the MSI property MsiNetAssemblySupport is not reliable and may not work for all cases?
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Obviuosly you're using this in an MSI based setup, but exactly how are you using it? Are you comparing it with a value?
    Phil Wilson
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 11:12 PM
  • Any update? Has your question been solved?

Thanks,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Sunday, March 13, 2011 7:06 AM