none
Difficulty deploying a driver to a virtual machine test computer RRS feed

• Question

• I am running windows 10 with visual studio 13 and I want to write a driver and install it on a virtual machine. I have virtual box with windows 7 32 bit virtual guest. I created a kmdf project and  followed the instructions https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/jj200334 to add the test computer to visual studio and configured the virtual machine through the same serial port. When I click deploy kmdf package I get the following error 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\build\Win32\ImportAfter\DriverDeployment.targets(69,9): error : Kernel mode drivers cannot be deployed to the local machine
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\build\Win32\ImportAfter\DriverDeployment.targets(69,9): error : Could not connect to the remote computer for deployment.
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\build\Win32\ImportAfter\DriverDeployment.targets(69,9): error : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I have some concerns

1. I put the computer name as the same name of the computer running visual studio and virtual box, if it is wrong should I put the name of the guest virtual machine running windows 7? when I put that I get the error 'no such host is known'

2. When I use attach to process to connect the debugger to the guest machine it works correctly either putting the name of the host machine or the guest machine ?!

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:00 PM