none
Sync Message Sent via SMTP to Outlook Sent Items Folder RRS feed

• Question

• [E2010] v14.03.0439.000.

I'm sending email from a .NET application using SmtpClient using a specific user's credentials.
    The user's Outlook connects to Exchange via Exchange Active Sync.

Messages sent via the application do not appear in the user's Sent Items folder.
    Is this expected behavior?

Is there any way to include a copy of the message in the user's Sent Items?
    I know it can be done with Outlook automation, but am trying to eliminate that for reasons that are another subject.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:37 PM

All replies

• >>Messages sent via the application do not appear in the user's Sent Items folder.
    Is this expected behavior?

If you use SMTP yes as only messaged submitted via the Store (eg using MAPI, EWS or ActiveSync) have the option to store a copy of the Message in the SentItems Folder (function of the API)

>>Is there any way to include a copy of the message in the user's Sent Items?

Not using SMTP unless you write code that will create the Item in the Mailbox manually (essentially an import)  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/client-developer/exchange-web-services/how-to-import-items-by-using-ews-in-exchange (but if your going to do this just use EWS in the first place to send the message).

Cheers
    Glen

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Glen. After a good bit of additional research, I understand  I'll look into EWS.

What I don't understand it that when I used the exact same SmtpClient code and send an email via my Office 365 account, then use the web interface for that account, all of my messages sent via SmtpClient are in my Sent Items folder. 
    How does that happen? That's what got me started down this rabbit hole.

Friday, June 28, 2019 10:25 AM