Two Node SQL 2008 R2 Failover Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Two Node SQL 2008 R2 Failover Cluster encounter "the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" when login with domain account. Is this OK to unjoin and rejoin again? What would be the expected impact? Any recommendation would be of great help. Thanks.
    Monday, May 14, 2012 10:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• what version of Windows is your domain controller?

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

Monday, May 14, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Domain functional level = 2003

Forest functional level = 2003

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:55 AM
  • Hi Eyts,

>> the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

Regarding to the error message you provided, generally you can rejoin the domain to restore the trust relationship. Another option they will give is to delete the computer object and recreate it without a password and rejoin.
    For more information, you can refer to Microsoft support article on the topic: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162797
    Also try below hotfix for windows 2008R2 and win7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976494

Additional you can refer to this thread with the same error message as yours: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

If the above method does not work for you, let better for you to link to Windows Server forums

Regards, Amber zhang

• Marked as answer by amber zhang Monday, May 21, 2012 7:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Hi Amber,

Unjoin / rejoin of member server or workstation generally works with articles given. But my concern is that the two servers are member of the cluster in a production. I wonder if anyone have tried this.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:41 AM
  • I have found the problem, my 2 node cluster was authenticating to a failed domain controller, I have removed it using NTDSUTIL.  Case close.
    • Marked as answer by amber zhang Monday, May 21, 2012 7:11 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:12 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I had the same question.

One of my SQL Server 2008 R2 nodes lost its trust relationship for some reason. Generally, I address this issue not by removing servers from the domain, but by using PowerShell v3 by executing the following with an admin prompt:

Reset-ComputerMachinePassword 

In this case, I did not have access to v3, so at an Admin prompt, I executed

netdom resetpwd /s:dc.ad.local /ud:ad\adminaccount /pd:*

This successfully reset the password and I was able to login again with a domain account. I then started the cluster service, and failed my SQL Server over with no issues. I tested this as well on Windows 2012 R2 with a SQL 2014 cluster with success.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 11:12 AM