none
GetMediaServicesEnv.ps1 fails due to Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Question

• I am following the steps on page http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/MediaServices/thread/a9d3d1b4-09eb-4a28-ad1d-a1f4cf3123cb and when I am doing .\GetMediaServicesEnv.ps1. I got the following error:

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Azure Media Services\Services\v1.0> .\GetMediaServicesEnv.ps1
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    At C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Azure Media Services\Services\v1.0\GetMediaServicesEnv.ps1:5 char:25
    + Get-AzurePublishSettings <<<<
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], NullReferenceException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException

do you know why?

PG

Friday, June 15, 2012 7:53 PM

Answers

• Yes, we checked on this and updated the Setup steps now.  You have to have Azure SDK 1.6 installed prior to running the PowerShell scripts for Media Services.  You MUST NOT have Azure SDK 1.7 installed.  We don't currently support that version of the SDK with Media Services. 

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:19 PM
    Owner
  • Turns out the issue is that v5.0 of the Microsoft.Data.Services.Client assembly is not available in the CloudVM.  To resolve, I had to set Copy Local to True in my project to get it working...

Thanks, KBW

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:55 AM

All replies

• It's possible that the browser isn't launching correctly.  If you go to Start/Run and type in an address like http://msdn.microsoft.com, does it launch the browser properly and take you to that URL?  Also, what browser are you using?
    Friday, June 15, 2012 9:54 PM
    Owner
  • I am having the same exact issue with my Lab enviorment.

Keith Kabza

Saturday, June 16, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Its actually failing on Get-AzurePublishSettings

Keith Kabza

Saturday, June 16, 2012 8:55 PM
  • yup. Same as Keith, it fails at Get-AzurePublishSettings. When I directly run "Get-AzurePublishSettings", I got the same issue.

PG

Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:03 AM
  • Make sure you're using the 1.6 version of the Azure SDK, not the 1.7 version.
    Monday, June 18, 2012 5:34 PM
    Owner
  • Also make sure that you are following the Pre-Requisites steps and have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed along with .NET 4.0.  It's currently required to run the PowerShell scripts. 

This should all get much simpler in a couple more weeks when we have a Portal UX for setup. Thanks for bearing with us as we get our portal online.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:35 PM
    Owner
  • Yes, we checked on this and updated the Setup steps now.  You have to have Azure SDK 1.6 installed prior to running the PowerShell scripts for Media Services.  You MUST NOT have Azure SDK 1.7 installed.  We don't currently support that version of the SDK with Media Services. 

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:19 PM
    Owner
  • John

Do you have an eta for when you will support SDK1.7 (it's a bit of a pain having to have multiple configurations to support azure development).

Thanks

Nick Randolph ~ Built to Roam

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Keep in mind that you can run a machine with both 1.6 and 1.7 installed.  The only time you cannot have 1.7 installed is during the setup procedures.  Once installed when you are using a Visual Studio project and add the reference you are pointing to a specific directory and file for 1.6.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 4:37 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

I'm having a similar problem except I'm running v1.6 of the SDK against a trial version of Windows Azure.  I'm not using media services but I am using WCF Data Services (AppFabric enabled).

Do I have to have a media services account in order to use WCF Data Services in Azure?  I'm not interested in streaming... instead I have the following:

1. On-premise database with entity model generated using EF4.1

2. WCF Data Services exposing the entity model to the Azure cloud

3. Azure hosted service calling the WCF Service...

Using the Azure emulator I can test this scenario without any problems.  However, once I upload the service to Azure, I get this error.

Has anyone any experience with this issue?  I'd appreciate any help resolving it.

Thanks!

Thanks, KBW

Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Turns out the issue is that v5.0 of the Microsoft.Data.Services.Client assembly is not available in the CloudVM.  To resolve, I had to set Copy Local to True in my project to get it working...

Thanks, KBW

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:55 AM