none
Kinect loses track of bodies when rotated in pitch/elevation RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application where I am using a Kinect v2 to track people. The Kinect is mounted to a gimbal that is then moved to point at the body joint the Kinect is tracking. This seems to work just fine when the Kinect is moved in yaw/azimuth (rotated about its y-axis), however the Kinect seems to have issues when it is moved in pitch/elevation (rotated about its x-axis). The body tracking loses track of all bodies, causing the gimbal to stop, and after a second or two it will reacquire the people in view. With smaller motions or very slow motions, the Kinect is less likely to lose track, but it is still very sensitive. The track loss seems to be correlated with a change in what the Kinect views as the floor plane (it can happen regardless of whether or not the Kinect can see the floor).

Is this a fundamental limitation of the Kinect body tracking? Is there anything that can be done to make the body tracking less sensitive to pitch changes or floor plane changes? I understand that having the Kinect itself move is not exactly a normal use-case for it.

Friday, February 13, 2015 4:18 PM

All replies

• Body tracking is only supported when the sensor is orientated horizontally with the ground/floor plane. We do not support any other sensor orientation by design. Optimal sensor configuration is 6 feet from the floor with the sensor tilted down with unobstructed view of the floor(no IR shadow casting because of object edges). The sensor must see the users head and both shoulders to acquire a hard lock-on.

If you need other tracking abilities you may need to revert to blob detections of your own tracking system.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, February 16, 2015 5:56 PM
  • Hello

I am also working on similar project where Kinect allows robot to follow a person using joint data and I am also encountering same issue.

I was wondering if you found a way to get around it and if you did, could you point me to the right direction?

Thank you!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:31 AM