Using XPS on non-Vista platforms RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I was reading the MSDN article about XPS, and I'm quite intrigued. I'd like to have a go at using XPS for a document creation system on our internal Intranet.

I suppose there are 2 main questions..

1) I've got VS2005 - can I write XPS documents now? Or do I need some other SDKs (eg WPF). Would I be able to view/print them?!

2) When does v1.0 come out, or a go-live license?!

Cheers

Dan

Thursday, January 5, 2006 2:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think you'll need the WinFX Runtimes installed (alteast for the user) if its a non-vista machine - like XP or Win2k3.

The WinFX runtimes will allow you to view the XPS documents in the xps host / IE. The APIs you need to modify / work with the XPS docs are in WinFX, if you have the runtimes on the user's machines - your app can work with the XPS docs on a non-vista machine.

I am currently working on XP as well as Vista - and XPS docs work great on both.

- Keeron

Friday, January 6, 2006 1:03 AM
  • Hi ,

Can you please let me know how to create a  simple  XPS document. I have a viewer and sample xps documents. But i want to know how to create it.

Thanks in advance.

Santhosh.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:20 AM
  • SanthoshGV,

Maybe this document helps you to get started: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/xps-read.mspx

Best regards,

Adrian

Friday, May 12, 2006 1:13 PM
  • Adrain ,

Thank you very much for your informations. I will go through the document.

- Santhosh.

Friday, May 19, 2006 5:38 AM