none
Change Preview Pane Style RRS feed

• Question

• When using the Preview Pane style on a SP 2010 list, the list item is displayed on the right side when you simply hover your mouse over the title in the left-side pick list.

I want to change this so that you have to actually CLICK the title on the left in order to display it's associate list item on the right. And that item would remain displayed until you actually CLICK another title, not just hover over it.

Thanks... Mike

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:09 PM

Answers

• Well I did not think about that so I had to test it and what you have to do is remove the OnClick action in the hyperlink, the onclick action for the preview pane is in the element. 

For the hyperlink inside your list that are not showing correctly I had that same problem when starting with 2010, and you have to either create a "Hyperlink or Picture" column or rebuild the current one you have, make sure it is set to add to default view.

• Marked as answer by Lindali Friday, March 14, 2014 9:01 AM
    Friday, March 7, 2014 8:17 PM

All replies

• If you have SharePoint Designer or Work in it with Visual Studio, you can go to the attributes of the link (Usually it is the title and change the OnMouseOver to blank and move the behavior to OnClick.  But since it is 2010 what I ended upd doing instead of using the preview pane, I changed it to Default View and the only column I have displayed is the "<label for="ShouldDisplayLinkTitle">Title (linked to item with edit menu)"</label>  so once you click on the title it brings a silverlight style popup with the entire list item information.view of how the default style works using the Title only column

But here is a breakdown on how to change the preview pane behaviors in SharePoint Designer.

How to change preview pane from mouseover to on click

Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:01 PM
  • Thanks Hawkeye68,

I don't have designer access but I can get one of our admins to make that change. But before I do, I have a couple follow-up questions.

I had considered doing it like you stated initially - just displaying the title in default view and let the user click it to see the results in the pop-up display window but I have html links displaying in calculated fields and I am having trouble getting those to display correctly in the pop-up display window, whereas they do show correctly in the preview pane. I may still investigate going this way.

But, if I decide to go the second way and change the mouse event in the preview pane - if I change that from ONMOUSEOVER to ONCLICK, do i assume the result would be that the list item displays on the right side of the preview when the title is clicked and NO LONGER opens the pop-up display window? Does this somehow over-ride the pop-up display window?

Thanks... Mike

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:27 PM
  • Well I did not think about that so I had to test it and what you have to do is remove the OnClick action in the hyperlink, the onclick action for the preview pane is in the element. 

For the hyperlink inside your list that are not showing correctly I had that same problem when starting with 2010, and you have to either create a "Hyperlink or Picture" column or rebuild the current one you have, make sure it is set to add to default view.

• Marked as answer by Lindali Friday, March 14, 2014 9:01 AM
    Friday, March 7, 2014 8:17 PM
  • hawkeye68,

sorry for late reply - been out of town. could I bug you to do a screen shot of the onclick action you are referring to in the element. I need to tell my admin what do do and i want to make sure i understand where you are referring to.

Thanks... Mike

Monday, March 17, 2014 6:56 PM