How to enhance acquisition frame rate ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All!

I am trying to capture color and depth streams from kinect v2 using c# code i found under 'KinectMLconnect' project, which was written for converting depth data into known Matlab .MAT files.  the code was modified to capture also color stream. My problem is that no matter what i do i still stay at around 15 FPS, and i really need to enhance the frame rate. I have been told that it is possible to reach 30 FPS for both streams, is it correct? what am i doing wrong? Maybe someone can direct me to code examples that will solve the issue...  My guess it is something to do with threading correctly. The machine i'm using is DELL core i7-4790 cpu @ 3.60GHz, 12 GB ram, 64 bit.  Really appreciate any assistance!! Thanks in advance!   

Monday, March 16, 2015 2:24 PM

Answers

• run color basics on its own and see if you are getting 15fps or 30fps. That will confirm if you are in low light.

As for enhancing your frame rate, if you are doing too much work in the callback, you will have to copy the frame data and spin up the new thread. This will prevent your application from holding up the return from the callback function from the runtime. If you are holding up the callback, the runtime will prevent your application from getting any further frames.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

• Marked as answer by ravidlior Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:06 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:11 PM

All replies

• In low light, color fps is 15fps and is a feature to enable a better quality color image. That is a function of the hardware, not the runtime. Depth will always be 30fps. If you are acquiring frames based on the MultiSourceFrameReader with color, then this will force depth at 30fps.  The only way to get 30 will be to improve lighting conditions.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, March 16, 2015 7:15 PM
  • Thank you very much for your reply, Carmine, but i think my environment is luminous enough.

And i am offcourse using MultiSourceFrameReader, still dont know how to enhance frame rate.

Very thanks!!

LR

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:12 AM
  • run color basics on its own and see if you are getting 15fps or 30fps. That will confirm if you are in low light.

As for enhancing your frame rate, if you are doing too much work in the callback, you will have to copy the frame data and spin up the new thread. This will prevent your application from holding up the return from the callback function from the runtime. If you are holding up the callback, the runtime will prevent your application from getting any further frames.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

• Marked as answer by ravidlior Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:06 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:11 PM
  • Thanks a lot!!

LR

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:34 AM