none
Can using the SDK break Word, Excel and PowerPoint? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 7 64-bit. I have been in VS 2008 writing code using the Aug 09 SDK for a few weeks, manipulating Word docs, Excel workbooks and PowerPoint presentations. Everything was going fine until about an hour ago. All of a sudden, PowerPoint stopped working when I opened a pptx I had been manipulating in code. But it also stopped working when I opened a pptx I had not been manipulating. Then it worked for a couple of times but stopped working again. Now, Word, Excel and PowerPoint all stop working as soon as I start them, whether or not I am opening a specific file. I ran the Repair option in Setup, but they still don't work. Outlook, Access and OneNote work. I uninstalled the SDK and rebooted, but they still don't work.

Is this possible or just a giant coincidence? Can the SDK break Office apps?

Robert
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:24 AM

All replies

• After uninstalling and reinstalling and trying other known fixes including registry edits, I uninstalled the Office Live 1.4 Add-In and the problem went away. Word, Excel and PowerPoint are now working again.

Is there any reason to think that the Open XML SDK can break the Office Live Add-In or is it just a big coincidence that the SDK and Add-In work with the same 3 apps?

Robert
    Monday, September 14, 2009 10:37 PM
  • The Open XML SDK should not affect the Office applications. Installing the SDK simply adds the DocumentFormat.OpenXml.dll to your computer. In other words, the installation of the SDK is separate from Office.

Zeyad Rajabi (MS)
    Zeyad Rajabi (MS)
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:46 AM