none
Message open events for non-existent messages RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using the Exchange 2007 diagnostic logging to discover mail message access, using the Message Access event.

It works quite well, and I get an event for any message I open in Outlook or OWA (Outlook auto-downloading and caching taken into account).

However, I get several events in the event log that aren't related to any existing message (I get messages with EWS using internet-message-id filtering).

I noticed that these events are generated every time I start Outlook, and these "extra" messages are always in the inbox. There are other events for non-ipm-tree messages or calendar open events that don't interest me much. However, I'd really like to know how to tell apart real messages that exist in the inbox from those extra messages.

It's possible that these messages may have been in the inbox in the past but were deleted, but not as far as I can tell, and the events generated by them are recent.

(I asked this question in the Outlook dev forum before I found this forum, and they sent me here...)

Thanks in advance.

Monday, August 9, 2010 1:11 PM

Answers

• Gil,

This forum is for the support of the Open Specifications. Your question is not related to this set of published documentation. However, you could try reposting your question again on this forum: General Discussions. Part of the topics covered in this forum are as follows:

Topics discussed include: Evaluation, troubleshooting, tools, and documentation RELATED TO EXCHANGE SERVER ONLY

The Exchange diagnostic logging is considering a troubleshooting tool. This forum seems more relevant for your particular question.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC Protocols Team

Monday, August 9, 2010 5:18 PM

All replies

• Gil,

This forum is for the support of the Open Specifications. Your question is not related to this set of published documentation. However, you could try reposting your question again on this forum: General Discussions. Part of the topics covered in this forum are as follows:

Topics discussed include: Evaluation, troubleshooting, tools, and documentation RELATED TO EXCHANGE SERVER ONLY

The Exchange diagnostic logging is considering a troubleshooting tool. This forum seems more relevant for your particular question.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC Protocols Team

Monday, August 9, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Thanks
    Monday, August 9, 2010 5:29 PM