none
Memory leak in the refs.sys (Resilient File System (ReFS) driver after a degraded storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having some memory issue in one of my windows 2012 R2 driver where my non-paged pool memory just grow and grow until out of memory happens.

In order to see where the leak was coming from, I followed the link here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ntdebugging/2012/08/30/troubleshooting-pool-leaks-part-2-poolmon/

Using poolmon tool, I was able to see that the memory is being allocated through the MSeb, MSPi, MStb, MSco Tag. 

Using findstr, I was able to trace it down to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ReFS.sys driver which seems to be leaking out. The driver version i'm using is: 6.3.9600.16384(winblue_rtm.130821-1623).

I've also noticed that one of my drive failed on me (I removed the drive) but I still waiting to replace it. I'm running a degraded storage pool right now.

I tried to capture some screenshots, showing up that it was using 5.2GB of non-page pool at the time of capture (and growing)....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwpIB0iAJmxEWTZsYVFVWHk3ajQ/view?usp=sharing

I'm hoping that once I replace my faulty drive, the memory consumption (non-paged pool) will go away but until then, is there any work-around? (I need to restart my server every 2-3 days).

If the root cause is really the faulty drive, it seems to have a bug in the refs driver to me...

any thoughts or suggestion?

thanks,

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:22 AM

Answers

• this is a support for developers writing drivers. to have an issue investigated and potentially fixed with an inbox driver, please open an incident report with Microsoft customer support.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 23, 2016 7:01 PM

All replies

• What's the best way to report issues like this one? 

Is there any way to move the topic over to Windows Hardware WDK and Driver Development forum

• , maybe some folks there?

Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:37 AM
  • Hi,

I have moved your post to Windows Hardware WDK and Driver Development forum,you will get further assistant here.

Best Regards,
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 23, 2016 6:19 AM
  • this is a support for developers writing drivers. to have an issue investigated and potentially fixed with an inbox driver, please open an incident report with Microsoft customer support.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 23, 2016 7:01 PM
  • Just to be clear, I'm not the one who wrote that driver, it's a built-in microsoft driver (refs.sys).

I've looked at the different technical support option and at this point, I'm not willing to pay to a microsoft to fix their own driver...

Is there a free place to report bug incident like this one? 

I've looked at this but it seems all of the options are paid one... https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/paulfo/2010/02/23/do-you-know-how-to-get-microsoft-technical-support/

thanks,

Saturday, September 24, 2016 1:35 PM
  • I know  it is a Microsoft authored driver. If there is a bug that needs fixing, you will not be charged (as far as I know)

Saturday, September 24, 2016 4:56 PM
  • Hi there

I am using the ReFS Driver 6.3.9600.17396 - a little later than yours.

But seeing growth of nonpaged pool with Tag MStb beyond 15GB of RAM. 

Note there were no failures or failed disks [as the disks are vmware disks in a large, stable environment], just mostly read traffic.

Saturday, October 8, 2016 12:21 PM