none
Upgrade from SQL Server 2005 SP4 to SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 fails

Question

• Tried to do an in-place upgrade as above on a production server on 12/3/2016 with a slipstreamed 2008 R2 Standard installer, but only the Setup support and SQL Writer were updated. A similar upgrade on a test server on 11/17/2016 with the same installer worked flawlessly and upgraded all features. Both servers only have/had a single default instance of SQL Server 2005.

From what I can decipher from the logs for each attempt, it appears the production server upgrade did not have an instance id specified in the generated configuration file when it got to the rules evaluation, even though it appears to have detected all of the installed components and the existing instance correctly. The upgrade screen on the production server also only presented a grayed out incomplete Feature List.

Would appreciate any feedback on what caused this, and how I can get the upgrade on the production server to process correctly.

Monday, December 12, 2016 4:39 PM

All replies

• I realize you have already been through the logs, but I can't seem to understand the error description from what you describe here. Could you perhaps post the results of them here?

Go here:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log

and find the most recent directory:

Sort by date and post the most recent log file here - it could be the details.txt file.

Monday, December 12, 2016 4:42 PM
  • I realize you have already been through the logs, but I can't seem to understand the error description from what you describe here. Could you perhaps post the results of them here?

Go here:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log

and find the most recent directory:

Sort by date and post the most recent log file here - it could be the details.txt file.

Certainly, but I can't seem to find a way to attach a file, and attempting to copy/paste its contents into a reply just causes problems with the web page.
    Monday, December 12, 2016 6:44 PM
  • Hello,

Please upload the files to your public folder on OneDrive and share the URL with us.

If you are able to identify a file with the name Summary.txt, please share the content with us on this thread.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, December 12, 2016 7:32 PM
  • This editor won't let me include links or the contents of the Summary file "Until my account has been verified".

Kent

Monday, December 12, 2016 8:32 PM
  • go to pastebin.com - paste your file in there. Then go to the bottom and create new paste - the url will change - post the new url back here.
    Monday, December 12, 2016 8:42 PM
  • Forum editor won't let me send a post with that URL either.  Same message.
    Monday, December 12, 2016 8:51 PM
  • Hi K A Larsen,

Because you are a new user of this forum, there are some limitations for you, you can send the URL as text message. For more information, please refer to this case.

For your question, could you please tell us how do you upgrade your SQL Server? which account did you use to upgrade it? Have you met any error message?

According to your description 'it appears the production server upgrade did not have an instance id specified in the generated configuration file ', did you use the configuration file to upgrade this instance? What's the type of this instance, default instance or named instance? If you use the configuration file, please share it with the error log using Onedrive. Thank you!

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:31 AM
  • Teige,

Thanks for your response.

The upgrade was attempted through a remote logon to the server as the server's console user (which has administrative priviliges). I did not not receive any error messages. I did not create the configuration file it was generated by setup (I didn't even know it was there until after I started looking into the logs) . First thing I noticed that was different (from the same upgrade run on the test server 3 weeks earlier) was the Feature list dialog did not list the installed features and the items displayed were grayed out and could not be changed. The only instance on either the production or test server is a default instance of SQL Server 2005 Standard SP4.

The links to all of the requested files (shared from my OneDrive account) are:

Details.txt 1drv.ms/t/s!AggdQOTOwin8bkVhOD-fNO0sfAc

Configuration file: 1drv.ms/u/s!AggdQOTOwin8cNS68kcMuY8ZsCs

LogSet cab: 1drv.ms/u/s!AggdQOTOwin8b3d6vRgRxjM63HE

Summary file: 1drv.ms/t/s!AggdQOTOwin8cdU32jUvohaKanY

Obviously the https:// has been left off of all of them to get this editor to accept them.

Kent

• Edited by K A Larsen Tuesday, December 13, 2016 1:03 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 1:02 PM
  • Hi K A Larsen,

I am currently reading your error message and looking into this issue, it will take some time. If I find the cause, I will give you an update as soon as possible. 

Besides, have you rebooted your Operation System before you upgrading SQL Server.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:32 AM
  • Tiege,

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated! No, the server was not restarted before beginning the upgrade.

Kent

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:23 PM
  • Hi K A Larsen,

I have read this full error message, although I still have not found the exact cause of this problem, I want to share some find with you, this may help you.

Firstly, you can try to reboot the Operation System and then install it again, many installation of patch need rebooting the Operation System. Besides, please make sure that the SQL Server Service is running.

Secondly, could you please use the tool: Upgrade Advisor to check if there exists compatible issues, I find some strange items in the error message which related to the compatibility.

Thirdly, according to your description, you have used it on another machine successfully, is it a 64-bit platform?

Besides, could you please use the account Administrator to run it as administrator.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:05 AM
  • Hi K A Larsen,

I have read this full error message, although I still have not found the exact cause of this problem, I want to share some find with you, this may help you.

Firstly, you can try to reboot the Operation System and then install it again, many installation of patch need rebooting the Operation System. Besides, please make sure that the SQL Server Service is running.

Secondly, could you please use the tool: Upgrade Advisor to check if there exists compatible issues, I find some strange items in the error message which related to the compatibility.

Thirdly, according to your description, you have used it on another machine successfully, is it a 64-bit platform?

Besides, could you please use the account Administrator to run it as administrator.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support

Teige,

Unfotunately, with the holidays and the fact that NTCLM1 is a production server, the next available time for me to try the upgrade again is the weekend of January 7, 2017. I will restart the server before beginning the upgrade when I try it again. The one difference I did notice between the production server and the development one (where the upgrade succeeded) was that all of the SQL Server services could not be stopped (I have done that in the past on upgrades to prevent the need for additional restarts). The SQL Server engine service on the production server would not stay stopped, and kept restarting on its own.

The Upgrade Advisor tool was run on both servers before the upgrades were even attempted, and all issues identiifed were researched and resolved where necessary. No blocking issues were identified for either the SQL Server engine or DTS. No issues were identified at all for any of the other services installed. Can you be more specific regarding what errors you're seeing related to compatability?

Both servers are virtualized Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit and the existing SQL Server instances on each are SQL Server 2005 Standard (64-bit) SP4. The only apparent hardware difference is that the development server has 8gb RAM and the production server is allocated 16gb RAM.

Both of the server console logons are members of the domain administrators group, so running the upgrade under those logons should be sufficient, but I did start setup.exe with Run as Administrator when I attempted the upgrade.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 3:04 PM
  • Hi K A Larsen,

It looks like that the installation process canoot recognize the version of SQL Server 2005 SP4, based on my test, the version number of 2005 sp4 is 9.0.5000, while it is 9.4.5000 in your error message.

According to your description 'I will restart the server before beginning the upgrade when I try it again', I will wait for it.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 29, 2016 8:03 AM