Invoke another workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know it is possible to invoke a workflow from another workflow. But is it possible to invoke a custom Sharepoint Workflow from a "normal" workflow?

Thanks
    Thomas

Friday, January 5, 2007 12:30 PM

Answers

• It is related to workflow, but it is SharePoint's implementation.  This forum is for questions about the base foundation and using just what comes from WF you can easily invoke another workflow.  What dependencies are required by SharePoint to invoke a workflow, whether from a normal workflow or host, is something specific to SharePoint and you are more likely to get an answer in one of their forums.
    Saturday, January 6, 2007 11:20 PM

All replies

• Maybe the context would help better answer this, but from what I understand, the SP Workflows have to run on the SP server, because it's tied in to all the SP assemblies etc., so theoretically, you should be able to invoke a new SP workflow from a "normal" workflow, so long as it executes on the SP Server.
    Friday, January 5, 2007 3:53 PM
  • But how do I do that? How do I invoke a custom Sharepoint workflow from a normal workflow?

Thanks Thomas

Friday, January 5, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Well without really giving it too much thought, you could host a Web Service on the SP server, that you called from your "normal" workflow and this would in turn invoke your your SP workflow?

Or you could get fancy and look at some remoting / service that runs on your SP server to do the same kind of thing?  I'm just throwing out random thoughts here though ...

Friday, January 5, 2007 4:22 PM
  • A better place to ask this question would be one of the SharePoint forums found at http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx#15.
    Saturday, January 6, 2007 3:28 AM
  • I will give it a shot there. However, I can hardly see any workflow related questions there so I guess the best chance for me to get an relevant answer is in this forum. I also believe this is a very workflow based question rather than a sharepoint based question.
    Saturday, January 6, 2007 10:55 PM
  • It is related to workflow, but it is SharePoint's implementation.  This forum is for questions about the base foundation and using just what comes from WF you can easily invoke another workflow.  What dependencies are required by SharePoint to invoke a workflow, whether from a normal workflow or host, is something specific to SharePoint and you are more likely to get an answer in one of their forums.
    Saturday, January 6, 2007 11:20 PM