none
Working time, RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to schedule as follow:

1st Shift from 7 am to 12 pm , and from 1pm to 7 pm.

2nd Shift from 7 pm to 12 am, and from 1 am to 7 am.

For example I have 2 resources:

M1: 1st shift

M2: 2nd shift

I changed working time for thos resources.

I change in the working time options, to a 24 hour work.

I created a task with a total duration of 14 hours and assigned to M1 and M2. What I should get is M1 working for 11 hours, and M2 working for 3 hours, but what I get from Microsoft Project is M1 = 8 hours, M2= 6 hours.

need help please

Wednesday, February 5, 2020 5:19 PM

All replies

• SDI2020,

Yeah, that's a conundrum isn't it. I'm not sure how you ended up with 8h for M1 and 6h for M2, but if I played with it a while I could probably get the same thing. Your question however is why doesn't Project logically show a full 11h day for M1 and the remaining 3h for M2.

Well, here are a few things to look at or consider. When you set up the task did you go to Project Information and set the Project Start Date to 7:00AM? By default, it will start at 8:00AM regardless of what calendar you have for the Project calendar.

Next, I assume you left the task type as fixed work. If so, when you assign both resources at 100% Project will automatically split the total work time in half and assign each resource at 7h. You can manually adjust the work to be 11h and 3h respectively and you're good to go.

However, it works a little differently if you make the task a Fixed Duration task, non-effort driven. If you do that, you will almost have what you expect, M1 will show 11h and M2 will show 2h. Wait, why only 2h for M2? What happened to the other hour? Well, with the fixed duration task, the duration is 14h but the work is 13h. Remember the 1h lunch break in the 1st shift work hours? Again, you can compensate by adding another hour of wok for M2.

Hope this helps.

John
    Wednesday, February 5, 2020 8:46 PM