WCF-Custom Vs WCF-OracleDB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

What is the difference between the two adapters and which one is recommended for connecting to Oracle database?

thanks.

• Changed type Ben Cline1 Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:12 AM asks a question
    Monday, September 20, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use the WCF-Custom adapter for scenarios that the standard WCF adapters do not support. The WCF-Custom adapter also enables you to use the WCF extensibility points in BizTalk Server. You can configure WCF-Custom adapter choosing your own binding type, ect. WCF-OracleDB adapter is a part of BizTalk Adapter Pack. The Microsoft BizTalk Adapter 3.0 for Oracle Database is a Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) custom binding (see Ben comments). This binding contains a single custom transport binding element that enables communication with an Oracle database. The Oracle Database adapter is wrapped by the Microsoft Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) Line of Business (LOB) Adapter SDK runtime and is exposed to applications through the WCF channel architecture. The Oracle Database adapter communicates with the Oracle database through the Oracle Data Provider for .NET 2.0 (ODP.NET 2.0) and the Oracle client, which are part of the Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) for Windows. Either way you need to install the BizTalk Adapter Pack. When I did integration with Oracle I used the WCF-OracleDb.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers - MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    blog: http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:19 AM
  • The standard bindings are wsHttpBinding, netTcpBinding, etc. OracleDbBinding and SqlBinding are themselves custom bindings. There is not an adapter called WCF-OracleDB. The BizTalk "adapter" for the Oracle database shows up in BizTalk as the OracleDBBinding. The adapter pack only provides this one adapter for connecting to the Oracle database. 

Here is a link on the definition of standard bindings: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms730879.aspx

Here is a link on the definition of custom bindings: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa347793.aspx

So when you install the adapter pack you do not see a new adapter show up under the Adapters folder or in the drop down for Add new Adapter. The adapter pack installs new custom bindings.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:44 PM
  • WCF-OracleDB adapter is a special case of WCF-Custom adapter. The underlying runtime for both WCF-OracleDB adapter and WCF-Custom adapter(with OracleDB binding) can be considered to be equivalent.

For the sake of ease of understanding and ease of use, some of the bindings are exposed as individual adapters, where the complexities of WCF are hidden and only the properties that will be mostly used by users  are shown.

Say for eg: WCF-NetTcp, WCF-WSHttp adapters.

WCF-Custom, however, exposes, most if not all, features of WCF. You can change bindings, apply behaviors and do more. 

• Proposed as answer by Akshat Sharma Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ben Cline1 Monday, September 27, 2010 9:40 PM
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 9:59 AM
  • I just realized the custom binding does show up as WCF-SQL and WCF-OracleDB as adapters in BizTalk 2009. I had just been using the WCF-Custom from BizTalk 2006 R2. Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    • Marked as answer by curious_mind Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:08 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 9:40 PM

All replies

• WCF-Custom is the BizTalk adapter that actually uses the OracleDBBinding when you have installed the BizTalk adapter pack. "WCF-OracleDB" is sort of a short hand form for saying the WCF-Custom adapter using OracleDBBinding. It is a bit of a misnomer too. In a WCF-Custom adapter port you choose the WCF binding (standard ones or custom ones) that you want to use.

A similar thing has come about for WCF-SQL which is WCF-Custom using the SqlBinding.

Thanks,

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:59 AM
  • Ben,

Thank you. This means WCF-Custom has a little more flexibility (custom binding)  over WCF-ORacleDB(standard binding)? For now we do simple inserts and selects from oracle database. In such case, should I be using the custom one? What kind of flexibility is available for future extensibility? Could you please provide me any link/documentation on the custom bindings for WCF-Custom adapter? Thank you.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Hi,

You can use the WCF-Custom adapter for scenarios that the standard WCF adapters do not support. The WCF-Custom adapter also enables you to use the WCF extensibility points in BizTalk Server. You can configure WCF-Custom adapter choosing your own binding type, ect. WCF-OracleDB adapter is a part of BizTalk Adapter Pack. The Microsoft BizTalk Adapter 3.0 for Oracle Database is a Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) custom binding (see Ben comments). This binding contains a single custom transport binding element that enables communication with an Oracle database. The Oracle Database adapter is wrapped by the Microsoft Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) Line of Business (LOB) Adapter SDK runtime and is exposed to applications through the WCF channel architecture. The Oracle Database adapter communicates with the Oracle database through the Oracle Data Provider for .NET 2.0 (ODP.NET 2.0) and the Oracle client, which are part of the Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) for Windows. Either way you need to install the BizTalk Adapter Pack. When I did integration with Oracle I used the WCF-OracleDb.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers - MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    blog: http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:19 AM
  • The standard bindings are wsHttpBinding, netTcpBinding, etc. OracleDbBinding and SqlBinding are themselves custom bindings. There is not an adapter called WCF-OracleDB. The BizTalk "adapter" for the Oracle database shows up in BizTalk as the OracleDBBinding. The adapter pack only provides this one adapter for connecting to the Oracle database. 

Here is a link on the definition of standard bindings: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms730879.aspx

Here is a link on the definition of custom bindings: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa347793.aspx

So when you install the adapter pack you do not see a new adapter show up under the Adapters folder or in the drop down for Add new Adapter. The adapter pack installs new custom bindings.

Thanks,

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:44 PM
  • WCF-OracleDB adapter is a special case of WCF-Custom adapter. The underlying runtime for both WCF-OracleDB adapter and WCF-Custom adapter(with OracleDB binding) can be considered to be equivalent.

For the sake of ease of understanding and ease of use, some of the bindings are exposed as individual adapters, where the complexities of WCF are hidden and only the properties that will be mostly used by users  are shown.

Say for eg: WCF-NetTcp, WCF-WSHttp adapters.

WCF-Custom, however, exposes, most if not all, features of WCF. You can change bindings, apply behaviors and do more. 

• Proposed as answer by Akshat Sharma Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ben Cline1 Monday, September 27, 2010 9:40 PM
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 9:59 AM
  • I just realized the custom binding does show up as WCF-SQL and WCF-OracleDB as adapters in BizTalk 2009. I had just been using the WCF-Custom from BizTalk 2006 R2. Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks,

• Marked as answer by curious_mind Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:08 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Thanks everyone. This helped me understand the adapters better. I am using the WCF-Custom now.
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:50 AM