none
small basic and tablet compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• goodnight,

I want to know if the small basic is compatible tablets equipped with windows 7 or 8.
    You can install the software programming small basic?
    Silverlight is compatible on tablets windows when you execute a program online?

Thank you for your answers.

Good evening.

absolu

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:53 PM

Answers

• OK,

Sorry for my English, but if I understand correctly, I can develop with IDE from a normal PC and I can put a .Exe on windows 7 tablet with extension ?

Alternatively, the program will work since the web with silverlight ?

absolu

Yes, you can develop from a normal PC. However, if you're using a mobile with Windows Phone 7 or 8, you can only test from the web, you can't put an .EXE on it. If you're talking about the Surface, I believe those are locked to Windows Store-only programs, and require a kernel hack to change that.

If you're talking about a tablet equipped with just a standard version of Windows (i.e. not Windows Phone OS or Windows RT, or the Surface Pro with Windows 8 Professional), then you can do everything you would be able to do on a normal PC.

Note that, with Silverlight, you cannot use extensions.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:46 PM
  • To summarize all of this into one small explanation:

Windows 7 tablets: run Small Basic fine on the desktop / with Silverlight

Windows 8 tablets (except ARM): run Small Basic fine on the desktop / with Silverlight

Windows 8 ARM tablets: do not run Small Basic at all (even with Silverlight)

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:44 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hello again Absolu!

Small Basic should be compatible with all x86-x64 Windows 7 tablets.

However, some Windows 8 tablets run Windows RT, which is an ARM architecture processor OS. This means any device with Windows RT (such as the $499 version of the Microsoft Surface) will not run Small Basic. However, it is rumored than an x64 Surface will be released soon. This (and any other x86/x64 Windows 8 tablet) should run Small Basic.

Sorry, but on ARM versions Silverlight is not available either AFAIK. But Silverlight works fine on Windows 8 x86/x64.

Here is the bottom line: Small Basic runs on Windows 7/8 with x86/x64 architectures. SB does not run on ARM architectures.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:07 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok,

So if Isummarizes, for themoment, onlyWindows 7tabletsare compatible with thesmall basic
    and silverlight?
    But you can install the software development smallbasic for programming directly from the Windows 7 tablet?

Thank you.

absolu

Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Ok,

So if Isummarizes, for themoment, onlyWindows 7tabletsare compatible with thesmall basic
    and silverlight?
    But you can install the software development smallbasic for programming directly from the Windows 7 tablet?

Thank you.

absolu

No, the IDE is only available on the desktop. Programs would work on the web if Windows Phone 7 supports Silverlight, which I would expect it to. 
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:51 AM
  • OK,

Sorry for my English, but if I understand correctly, I can develop with IDE from a normal PC and I can put a .Exe on windows 7 tablet with extension ?

absolu

Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:00 AM
  • OK,

absolu

Yes, you can develop from a normal PC. However, if you're using a mobile with Windows Phone 7 or 8, you can only test from the web, you can't put an .EXE on it. If you're talking about the Surface, I believe those are locked to Windows Store-only programs, and require a kernel hack to change that.

If you're talking about a tablet equipped with just a standard version of Windows (i.e. not Windows Phone OS or Windows RT, or the Surface Pro with Windows 8 Professional), then you can do everything you would be able to do on a normal PC.

Note that, with Silverlight, you cannot use extensions.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:46 PM
  • ok,

Thank you for your answers ^ ^

absolu

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:40 PM
  • However, if you're using a mobile with Windows Phone 7 or 8, you can only test from the web,

Phone 7 & 8 only use Silverlight natively, and cannot use the browser plugin.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:35 PM
  • However, if you're using a mobile with Windows Phone 7 or 8, you can only test from the web,

Phone 7 & 8 only use Silverlight natively, and cannot use the browser plugin.
    My mistake.
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:10 PM
  • To summarize all of this into one small explanation:

Windows 7 tablets: run Small Basic fine on the desktop / with Silverlight

Windows 8 tablets (except ARM): run Small Basic fine on the desktop / with Silverlight

Windows 8 ARM tablets: do not run Small Basic at all (even with Silverlight)

Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:44 PM
    Answerer
  • ok, thank you for your explanations.

absolu

Friday, February 8, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Hello again Absolu!

Small Basic should be compatible with all x86-x64 Windows 7 tablets.

However, some Windows 8 tablets run Windows RT, which is an ARM architecture processor OS. This means any device with Windows RT (such as the $499 version of the Microsoft Surface) will not run Small Basic. However, it is rumored than an x64 Surface will be released soon. This (and any other x86/x64 Windows 8 tablet) should run Small Basic.

Sorry, but on ARM versions Silverlight is not available either AFAIK. But Silverlight works fine on Windows 8 x86/x64.

Here is the bottom line: Small Basic runs on Windows 7/8 with x86/x64 architectures. SB does not run on ARM architectures.

Does it work on samsung galaxy tab2?
    Friday, April 19, 2013 2:23 AM
  • Does it work on samsung galaxy tab2?

Small Basic needs the .NET Framework to work.  This usually means Windows.  There are other frameworks such as Mono for Linux that might be compatible, and searching the web I found Monodroid for Android... but I don't have an android to test if a Small Basic exe program would run.  But I would assume a similar experience to the Silverlight version (the program would run, but buggy/missing features).

• Edited by Rushworks Monday, April 22, 2013 11:40 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 11:38 PM
  • Small Basic needs the .NET Framework to work.  This usually means Windows.  There are other frameworks such as Mono for Linux that might be compatible...

Mono still lacks emulation for crucial Windows-only technologies such as WPF and others! Project WiNE can't emulate it either.

If you are able to install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 in WiNE, most you can run is TextWindow Small Basic executables! Not even SB IDE!

Running from Silverlight is very precarious. It'd be really nice if SB programs could be converted into HTML5/JavaScript or something like that!

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:04 AM
    Answerer