Live tile: daily offers versus advertisements RRS feed

• Question

• The guidelines and checklist for tiles and badges says "Don't use tiles for advertisements.". However, the same guidelines also mention daily offers as a scenario where you'll want to update the tile daily: "For example, a busy social media app might update every 15 minutes, a weather app every two hours, a news app a few times a day, a daily offers app once a day, and a magazine app monthly."

I have an app that allows users to shop at an online retailer. This retailer has a daily offer promotion each day. Would I be able to display that daily over via the live tile, or is that grounds for rejection of the app based on the advertisements rule? How about if displaying the offer is opt-outable, or even opt-in?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Make sure you are following the Windows Certification requirements

Section 2 discusses what is permissible.

-Eric

• Marked as answer by BasRP Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:35 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Thanks, I checked section two and it indeed says

"2.3 Your app must not use its tiles, notifications, app bar, or the swipe-from-edge interactions to display ads"

From the face of it, this means no, but then why do the guidelines for tiles mention daily offers? Also, by "tile", do they just mean the tile you use to launch the app (with any Live content being exempt), or does it mean the app in its entirety?

I'm guessing the certification requirements overrule the tile guidelines, though. I guess that means no.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:35 PM