VS.Net 2010 IDE Very Slow RRS feed

• General discussion

• On my Intel Core 2 Duo machine running MS Windows XP Pro, 3GB RAM the VS.Net 2010 IDE is very slow, it takes along time to start up and also create a new project freezing along the way.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to increase the speed?

Monday, December 29, 2008 8:56 AM

All replies

• It's not much but, have you tried the suggestions in FAQ answer #6

I'm running the VPC on a Core 2 Duo system (an XPS M1330) with only 2 GB of memory using Vista Ultimate.  Performance is slow (it is the first CTP after all) but I don't get hangs when I create a project.  Of course everything's relative, what I think of as "slow" you might think of as a "hang".

In an unscientific test, creating a Win32 Console project seems to take about thirty five seconds or so from clicking Finish to being ready to cut code.  But it wasn't hung, I could see activity in the solution explorer window as various files were added to the project. 

The performance isn't great, but that's part of the price we pay for an early-look at the functionality.  I would rather see this CTP released with the performance the way it is, than wait for a later release with better performance.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 8:01 PM
  •  

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are planning to fix this as part of the next major release of Visual Studio.

Thank you for helping us improve the product!

Program Manager - VS Platform

Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Hi!

Please test the real usage with many projects also.

I use Visual Studio 2008 with a source control and there is 20 projects and 20 websites in one of my solutions.

The Visual Studio loads 10min in starting the solution!
    Then, UI is slow, build is slow and closing VS is slow. The user preferences file for the solution is over 20MB. 
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Hi Tuomas,

Thanks for your feedback on VS 2010 performance.  We have made significant improvements in performance since the CTP, which you should see in the upcoming VS 2010 Beta.  We also know that we're not done yet, and we will continue to work on making VS faster right up to the final release of VS 2010.  We test a variety of scenarios with a variety of projects, and I hope you'll see a noticeable difference in post-CTP versions of the product.

Thanks again for posting!
    Brittany Behrens
    Program Manager, VS Platform
    http://blogs.msdn.com/vseditor

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:32 AM