How do i access my programs

Question

• I dont seem to see any of them i see all my files like my word documents pictures etc etc, but wheres like my software i had on here like my ftp client microsoft office etc?  The hard drive is showing the space is being taken up like they're there (i had about 90 gb free before this and now its showing roughly 75) so where did it all go?
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 5:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• I believe they are still there, just not accessible from the start menu on the desktop, which just takes you back to Metro Start. I'm not sure mind you, since I did a clean install in a second partition. Have you used file manager to see if the programs directory still shows the apps? You can run the executable from there, and pin the icon to the task bar. Some things that I have installed have added icons to the Metro Start screen, Home Server Console, Zune. I haven't found a way to get existing program tiles to show on the Metro Start screen though, like Media Player, Wordpad.
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 7:19 PM
  • By the way I figured out how to get programs onto the metro start screen. Bring in the charms from the right. Select apps and all the apps available should show up in alphabetical groups. Pressing one will run it. A tap and slight drag down will bring up a menu with Pin as an option. Pin it and that adds a Tile to the start menu.
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 2:31 AM
  • weird none of them are showing up at all but like i said the hard drive space is taken up like they are there.  No i didnt go a clean install just upgraded and said keep everything all my files are there but not the apps.  I do see some folders are hidden but i try to unhide and it keeps telling me i dont have permission even when i go in the settings and try to allow myself any suggestions?
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Hi anthony,

What are the hidden folders you are referring to? Also just to gather more information on whether the apps are really there, could you navigate to control panel >programs > programs and features,  to see if your apps are listed there? Since you mentioned you have office installed, also try navigating to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\ and do a search in explorer for winword.exe.

Monday, October 10, 2011 5:23 PM
  • anthonyd46,

have you check if you have a folder called Windows.old?

Monday, October 10, 2011 7:49 PM
    Answerer
  • anthonyd46,

have you check if you have a folder called Windows.old?

yes i have a folder called that and when looking in it i see all the program files from all the programs i had on vista can i just launch them from there or?
    Monday, October 10, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Hi anthony,

What are the hidden folders you are referring to? Also just to gather more information on whether the apps are really there, could you navigate to control panel >programs > programs and features,  to see if your apps are listed there? Since you mentioned you have office installed, also try navigating to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\ and do a search in explorer for winword.exe.

theres a folder called applications which is greyed out and i cant access.

no none of those programs are in programs and features

no microsoft office under the normal program files it is in windows.old though

Monday, October 10, 2011 11:19 PM
  • Hi anthony, 

It seems like you did a migration of user account, file and settings.  This does not migrate the programs you have installed. Windows developer preview currently does not support full upgrade.  Please refer to: 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/152d7895-4281-427d-a6e1-40af0d8648ec

Sorry for the confusion I might have caused with my first post.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:18 AM