screen underscan using 27" AOC monitor, HDMI and AMD Radeon HD 6630M gp 256MB GDDR5

Question

• Hi all,

Any idea how I can force the specially engineered AMD drivers for Windows 8 to fill the entire screen?  I have downloaded and installed Catalyst in full, which is where I usually would go to fix the underscan issue, however when I try to run Catalyst I get a message that there is no user configurable option and it will not load.  I also tried w7 compatibility mode, no success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers 

Friday, September 23, 2011 4:28 AM

Answers

• All,

Good news.  The latest version of Catalyst 11.9 is reported to be compatible with Windows 8.  I opted for the 11.10 Preview beta, and it installed flawlessly, and runs perfectly as well.  The next step was to go into settings and request for overscan: worked perfectly.

Cheers

Guy 

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:32 AM
  • Other threads have mentioned that some AMD drivers are available using Windows Update. Try getting drivers with it - you might have to uninstall the AMD drivers you currently have installed first.

If you can't get it to work you may need to wait until newer drivers are released.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:43 AM

All replies

• GuyM45,

I am sorry to hear about your issue, hopefully the below will help.

For the driver/drivers you downloaded use the compatibility troubleshooter to install them to see if that resolves the problem.
    You can do this by:

·         Enter the Start screen

·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

·         Select Search

·         Type Compatibility

·         Click Settings in the right column

·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

·         Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Please post back with your results.

Thanks,

Chris
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I tried what you suggested, no change.

I omitted to mention that I had to use the overscan utility in Catalyst even with Windows 7, to compensate for exactly the same issue.

It really comes down to Catalyst not being Windows 8 compatible at this stage.  I did try the compatibility feature on Catalyst: it comes up with a message that there are no parameters that can be adjusted, and refuses to load.

The monitor connection to my pc is through a HDMI cable.  I shall try a DVI cable... perhaps that may resolve this issue.

Cheers

Guy

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:08 AM
  • Other threads have mentioned that some AMD drivers are available using Windows Update. Try getting drivers with it - you might have to uninstall the AMD drivers you currently have installed first.

If you can't get it to work you may need to wait until newer drivers are released.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:43 AM
  • Hi Trek,

The drivers are actually via Windows Update.  I guess until AMD make Catalyst fully compatible with Windows 8, I shall have to live with the underscan on my monitor.  It definitely is the driver / catalyst: the same monitor used with a Mac mini running Lion is perfect.. no underscan...

Still open to suggestions and/or workabouts, if anyone out there knows...

Cheers

Guy

Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:57 AM
  • All,

Good news.  The latest version of Catalyst 11.9 is reported to be compatible with Windows 8.  I opted for the 11.10 Preview beta, and it installed flawlessly, and runs perfectly as well.  The next step was to go into settings and request for overscan: worked perfectly.

Cheers

Guy 

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:32 AM