none
SQL Sendport / MSDTC / Different BT Servers with the same name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

As the title of my question may suggest, this is a quite odd situation. I have two Biztalk servers with the same name on different domains, both writing data to the same SQL server. Something like the bellow illustration: 

This is what it should be, but so far, I couldn't have this working yet.

MSDTC to work should have the NETBIOS name resolution working fine on both directions, but of course the SQL server is not able to access the servers "JohnDoe" on both domains using the NetBios resolution. DNS resolution works fine though.

Why I have this scenario? "JohnDoe on domain A has to be moved to Domain B as the Domain A resides on a data center we will not maintain anymore. The migration of all servers and services on domain A to domain B has to be done very carefully as there are no availability for a scheduled downtime on domain A, at least no more than a few minutes in a month. Both will have to live together during the migration phase, service by service, server by server. This is already being done successfully with several servers/services as everything is virtual (except the SQL Server), so copying the full server is something easy to be done and both domains are communicating with each other.

Other systems, web applications and two more BT servers uses the SQL Server on domain A so this will be the last server to be moved across these two domains.

So my question is how can I have the above scenario working?

I know some will ask why I have to keep both servers with the same name. Why I don't create a "JaneDoe" on domain B so I can have both working at the same time? Short answer, we have a very intricate environment of interconnected services that can easily cause problems if we start from scratch and something goes wrong. This would be the logical way to go if we have the time for installing new servers from scratch, test everything, make sure all services are working as expected and having them interacting on a cross domain fashion until domain A is completely extinguished. We are short in time and we also have two other BT servers to move, so the above scenario is our first option.

Any helpful hand on here? Any trick configuring MSDTC to work with this scenario?

Thanks a lot.

Jay

Monday, April 24, 2017 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hello Jay, 

Even if you manage to make it work from MSDTC point of view I am quite sure that from BizTalk Server poing of view will not be supported as you cannot have two servers with the same name within the same BizTalk Server group. 

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:39 AM
  • Short answer, do not do this.

This is not a tested or supported configuration, even if you make it work somehow.

The correct, only, and most reliable way is to stand up JaneDoe in Domain B and carefully repoint the endpoints from A to B.

More shortcuts is not the way to work around previous shortcuts. :(

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:59 PM
  • You can't do this

MSDTC uses NetBIOS/WINS name resolution (computer name) not FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name)

A bit of a pain as you need to mess around with hosts file if you don't have WINS running

EDIT: Consider all Biztalk Servers and related SQL Servers as one entity and treat them as one entity, otherwise you will experience downtime

- Peter

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:57 AM