none
Infopath Inerop Assemblies Export to PDF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I have this code for generating PDF from an infopath form. It works perfectly fine if I run it as a console application.

Dim

app As Application = NewApplication()

'Dim st As Object = CreateObject("InfoPath.Application")

Dim xDoc As XDocument = app.XDocuments.Open(inputFile, XdDocumentVersionMode.xdIgnoreDataAdaptersQueryFailure)

'Export to PDF

xDoc.View.Export(outputFile,

"PDF")

'Wait for a second

Threading.Thread.Sleep(1000)

'app.XDocuments.Close(0)

'_infopathMgr.ExportToPDF(inputFile, outputFile)

Catch ex As Exception

logMessage(

String.Format("Export failed with error:{0}{1}", ex.Message, ex.StackTrace))

Finally

If app IsNot Nothing Then

app.Quit(

True)

System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(app)

app =

Nothing

End If

End Try

If I use the above code in a Windows Service it hangs at the Open method doing nothing. The infopath form is a Full Trust form (with .NET code) and it's signed with a PKI certificate. The service is running under my account. Looks like there is a popup (security notice or something) causing the hang up. When I open the form manually I don't see any popups though.

If I use a simple form with no .NET code, it works just fine. The PDF is generated without any issues.

Did any of you run into this issue before? I'm hoping it's a office setting or something that I missed.

Are there any alternative solutions like third party tools that I can start looking into for the PDF generation?

Ramesh Tumati Sr. Information Systems Analyst

Thursday, July 7, 2011 5:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Ramesh,

What is the version of your infopath application? How did you automate InfoPath via the Windows Service? I just crate a console application and use the following code snippet:

Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop.InfoPath

Module Module1

Sub Main()
            Dim app As Application = New Application()
            Dim xDoc As XDocument = app.XDocuments.Open("C:\Users\peng\Desktop\form1.xml"XdDocumentVersionMode.xdIgnoreDataAdaptersQueryFailure)
            Try
                'Export to PDF  
                xDoc.View.Export("D:\test.pdf""PDF")
                'Wait for a second  
                Threading.Thread.Sleep(1000)
            Catch ex As Exception
                ' MsgBox String.Format("Export failed with error:{0}{1}", ex.Message, ex.StackTrace))
            Finally
                If app IsNot Nothing Then
                    app.Quit(True)
                    System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(app)
                    app = Nothing
                End If

End Try
        End Sub
    End Module

It works well on my side. I think the problem must due to the windows service, I have to metioned that Microsoft does not support automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or components(ASP, ASP.NET,NT Service),because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in the environment.For more details, please refer to this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757

Please take a look at this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/csharpgeneral/thread/9f43f377-dfd6-4c6e-a361-315bf30f3c91

and one expert introduced the http://itextpdf.com/ ,you can see whether it meet your requirement.

Hope you can figure it out.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:24 AM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:56 AM