How do i access my programs from the start menu while using the desktop?

Question

• Hi, is there anyway of gaining access to my programs from the desktop, instead of using the metro ui start screen?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Steven,

The Start screen is where all installed programs would be accessed and launched. This is where Metro styled and legacy applications can be run as well.

Regards,

Bobby

• Marked as answer by Steven Palmer Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Steven Palmer Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven Palmer Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:42 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:01 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Steven,

The Start screen is where all installed programs would be accessed and launched. This is where Metro styled and legacy applications can be run as well.

Regards,

Bobby

• Marked as answer by Steven Palmer Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Steven Palmer Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven Palmer Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:42 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:01 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the reply, so if I install my programs on my PC it will up on the start screen?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:19 AM
  • Please dear lord tell me that Microsoft is not going to FORCE us to switch to the Metro interface every single time we click on the start button...  Not even a junior Microsoft PM straight out of college could be that stupid.

Does anyone know how to change it so that clicking on the start button brings up the regular Win7 start menu instead of going to the Metro interface???  Is there a GPO option for this somewhere???

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:22 AM
  • I've already been in GPO and nothing about restoring the normal start menu, but it looks like that's the way MS is going with this.

I just install Photofiltre, and I had to scroll all the way to the far right of the start screen just to access it (which is annoying, since I don't have a touch screen.)

I don't know if there's a registry entry that would let us use the start menu, but I doubt it.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:34 AM
  • I've already been in GPO and nothing about restoring the normal start menu, but it looks like that's the way MS is going with this.

I just install Photofiltre, and I had to scroll all the way to the far right of the start screen just to access it (which is annoying, since I don't have a touch screen.)

I don't know if there's a registry entry that would let us use the start menu, but I doubt it.

Someone will most probably write a 'Start-Menu alternative' program to use later on and i guess there are already quite few options there (something like Launchy maybe?).
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Yes. The Start screen shows all the "apps"/"programs" you have installed on your PC.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:33 AM
  • @elle if you truly need help, that's not the way to get it.   Why not hit start and type a few letters of the program name?  What's so difficult?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:36 AM
  • I can only suggest you pin the desired programs to the task bar at this stage.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:28 PM
  • In an enterprise environment, if you can't enable the traditional start menu like in Win7, then this will be a huge barrier to Win8 deployment.

If you think users freaked out over the ribbon in Office, just wait until they are forced to use the Metro start screen.

How will the Metro start screen be centrally managed?  How will shortcuts be added, modified or deleted?

I personally have dozens of scripts that I launch through custom folders I've created in my Win7 start menu, but will this be supported with the Metro start screen?

Even worse, switching to the Metro start screen is MUCH SLOWER than using the Win7 start menu.

Finally, there is simply the principle of choice: if we don't want such a drastic change, it shouldn't be forced down our throats. 

Frankly, *if* the Metro start screen is compulsory and there's no way to turn the Win7 start menu back on, it feels like Microsoft is desperately grasping at something to make Win8 "different" than Win7 in order to justify the upgrade -- after all, what is truly new or useful in an enterprise environment on non-touch computers?  We don't have the final version of Win8, or even the final list of features, but why should a corporation upgrade from Win7 to Win8?  Microsoft needs to make this argument.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:33 PM
  • To reanable old start menu

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-how-to-re-enable-the-classic-start-menu

WinKey + R will open Run command so you can start regedit tool.

Marin
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:43 PM
  • If third party programs needs to be written already to get a reasonably usability, then I'd say MS have already failed miserably with this.

Finding an application is now an incredibly laborious task.

Instead of having the Start button do something entirely different from what everyone is used to, they should just remove it altogether and instead have the charms in a bar on the right of the screen or something.

At least this way people won't click on it expecting it to work as it has been for the last 2 decades (and not Windows only, Mac and Linux people are also used to this, so the entire world's population is now confused!).

For all the technology breakthroughs, Windows 8 is little more than a jumbled mess at the moment...

Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:59 AM
  • Yea ... this is what currently makes Windows 8 a nightmare to use. The OS is trying to be a tablet and a PC at the same time, and the jumping around from one world to the other is ugly and really slows things down.

I'd like to see the two environments be a little more seperated. I want a regular start menu on the desktop, and a start screen for Metro. If I install a Metro app I want it to show up on the start screen, and if I install a desktop app I want it to show up on the Start Menu. Sure lets have the ABILITY to mix the two (desktop app icons on the start screen, and shortcuts to Metro apps on the desktop / Start Menu ... but that should be something that the USER decides to do.

How many desktop apps install 5, 10 or even more icons. And now all of these show up on the start screen??? It wouldn't be SO bad if there were folders on the start screen (Apple learned that lesson also) but it's been started that's not hapenning. Users are going to wind up with hundreds of icons on their single start screen, and it's going to be next to impossible to find anything. One of the worst offenders I have seen so far is Visual Studio ... it installs 18 icons on the start page!

It will be YEARS before both hardware and software catch up with this excellent UI experience, and until then the desktop is going to be the predominent place that users hang out while running Windows. They need to be able to hang out there and do what they need to do, without all the back and forth that's currently involved.

I guess we can all manually create lots of folders and shortcuts on our desktops, but we really shouldn't have to do that.

By the way, don't get me wrong, I think the developer preview is AMAZING ... some great work has been done so far, and I'm sure there is a lot more to be done, but this area really needs work.

Steve Ives
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:57 PM
  • For all I know this is a preview focused on developers (programming Metra style aps)?
    This is not even beta and I doubt this preview UI is ment to be deployed in a Enterprise environment.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:46 PM