none
Windows 10 VSTO add-ins not loading on startup RRS feed

• Question

• Have been having this issue since upgrading our users to windows 10, it probably only happens to 1% of users but nonetheless would be grateful for an answer.

The issue occurs in office applications (particularly excel, word and outlook), what happens is a user will report that an add-in has stopped working, when looking at the add-in within the application it will show as inactive or unloaded, when I check the add-ins load behaviour in the registry it is set to 3 (load at startup), no matter what I do I cannot get it to working leaving load behaviour on 3 however if you change load behaviour to 2 the add-in then works perfectly.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Is your add-in listed in the disabled add-ins list?

Microsoft Office applications can disable VSTO Add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your VSTO Add-in when you try to debug it, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your VSTO Add-in.

Soft disabling can occur when a VSTO Add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable a VSTO Add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled VSTO Add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the VSTO Add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the VSTO Add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the VSTO Add-in again. Read more about that in the How to: Re-enable a VSTO Add-in That Has Been Disabled article.

BTW Does a newly created empty add-in work correctly, i.e. loaded by Office applications?

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:47 PM
  • Hello Joshcarp1995,

How do you distribute the add-in to your users? Have you tried uninstall and reinstall them? What's the result if you  install a new add-in?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:15 AM
  • Hello, thanks for your answers. The Add-ins do show in disabled add-ins but as unloaded add-ins so there behaviour has changed from load at start-up to unloaded. When I look in the registry in for example: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\UmOutlookAddin.FormRegionAddin the load behaviour is still set to 3 which should mean load at start-up. What most interests me is that changing the load behaviour to 2 which I thought meant not to load the add-in then loads the add-in.

Thanks.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:57 AM
  • Hello Joshsarp1195,

Could setting load behavior to 2 load your add-in? Could you all the function work correctly? Does you develop the add-in on a higher version office and then install it on a lower version Office?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:37 AM