none
to make hover over a text RRS feed

• Question

• How to make hover on any text to display more information about the text on same page in MS 2010?
    Friday, February 22, 2013 4:19 PM

Answers

• I assume we're talking about Word 2010?

The only thing available in the Word APIs that can display a "tip" when the mouse hovers is a COMMENT. If you assign a comment to a range of text, the comment will display when you hover the mouse over the text.

Word has nothing else...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:07 PM
  • If you bookmark the text, then select it, you can insert a hyperlink to the bookmark, and use the hyperlink 'Screen Tip' funtion to provide your hover text - which can be up to 2083 characters long. For editing purposes, select the hyperlink and press Shift-F9 to expose the field code. Your hover text is between the double-quotes after the \o.

This could also be done programmatically.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Not sure how  helpful that would be.  In order to bookmark the text, it has to be selected - although of course you can bookmark without selecting - presumably whatever the "hover" is hovering over.  However, what would that be, without making any selection.

AND, if it IS selected, you can get information on the selection itself - with no need of a bookmark.

I think you've seriously misunderstood what this is all about.

Bookmarking only requires a selection to be made if done through the GUI, but so too does hyperlinking to a range. No selection is required to do either of these things programmatically. Similarly, no-one is suggesting applying a bookmark to 'whatever the "hover" is hovering over'.

Granted, you don't actually need a bookmark for the hyperlink, but having one makes it a bit easier to find where the hyperlink points to. In any event, the issue isn't about how one 'can get information on the selection itself', but about how one can use the hyperlink 'Screen Tip' funtion to provide hover text for the end user.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:24 AM

All replies

• I assume we're talking about Word 2010?

The only thing available in the Word APIs that can display a "tip" when the mouse hovers is a COMMENT. If you assign a comment to a range of text, the comment will display when you hover the mouse over the text.

Word has nothing else...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:07 PM
  • If you bookmark the text, then select it, you can insert a hyperlink to the bookmark, and use the hyperlink 'Screen Tip' funtion to provide your hover text - which can be up to 2083 characters long. For editing purposes, select the hyperlink and press Shift-F9 to expose the field code. Your hover text is between the double-quotes after the \o.

This could also be done programmatically.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Not sure how  helpful that would be.  In order to bookmark the text, it has to be selected - although of course you can bookmark without selecting - presumably whatever the "hover" is hovering over.  However, what would that be, without making any selection.

AND, if it IS selected, you can get information on the selection itself - with no need of a bookmark.

Of course if it already bookmarked, then that is another thing.

Word MVP

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:19 AM

I think you've seriously misunderstood what this is all about.

Bookmarking only requires a selection to be made if done through the GUI, but so too does hyperlinking to a range. No selection is required to do either of these things programmatically. Similarly, no-one is suggesting applying a bookmark to 'whatever the "hover" is hovering over'.

Granted, you don't actually need a bookmark for the hyperlink, but having one makes it a bit easier to find where the hyperlink points to. In any event, the issue isn't about how one 'can get information on the selection itself', but about how one can use the hyperlink 'Screen Tip' funtion to provide hover text for the end user.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:24 AM
  • Seriously misunderstand...yes, quite possibly.  However, all we DO know is

"make hover on any text to display more information about the text on same page"

more information...WHAT more information

I think the important factor may - may - be the word "any", as in hover on "any text".

So if you have Blah yadda whatever blooobla hum de dum da; if you hover over "whatever", do you get something different from hovering over "hum".  I don't not know, and neither do you.  It sounds like it may be.  But if it is, are we talking about multiple layers of hyperlink Screen Tips.

And, if we have lots and lots of hyperlinks, does that mean they are all set up in advance.  After all, if they are NOT set up dymanically - re-read Selection comment - they have to be done before the Screen tip can be used...yes.

Word MVP

• Edited by fumei2 Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:28 AM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:25 AM