Installing SQL Server Express on Azure Virtual Machine for VS 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup the Virtual Machine for VS 2013 image. It will not let me download files so how can I install SQL Server Express to use with my development?

Bob - www.crowcoder.com

Friday, August 9, 2013 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hi, Molku, VS 2013 image has included SQL Server Express 2012 SP1. Actually it has already been installed using sysprep (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210754.aspx). You only need to run powershell script "ConfigureSQLExpress.ps1" under "C:\ConfigureDeveloperDesktop\Scripts\" to complete the configuration.

The file download from internet might be disabled on your IE. You can enable it from IE->Tools->Internet Options->Security->Internet->Custom Level...->Downloads->File download->Enabled.

Friday, August 9, 2013 9:40 PM

All replies

• You don't have internet connectivity from your VM? That sounds like something more serious... There's nothing limiting the ability for you to run whatever version of SQL you want in a VM.
    Friday, August 9, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Hi, Molku, VS 2013 image has included SQL Server Express 2012 SP1. Actually it has already been installed using sysprep (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210754.aspx). You only need to run powershell script "ConfigureSQLExpress.ps1" under "C:\ConfigureDeveloperDesktop\Scripts\" to complete the configuration.

The file download from internet might be disabled on your IE. You can enable it from IE->Tools->Internet Options->Security->Internet->Custom Level...->Downloads->File download->Enabled.

Friday, August 9, 2013 9:40 PM
  • Thank you. I got SQL Express setup and running.

I already had checked that file download was enabled but I still could not download a file. This is the exact error I was getting:

"Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded"

However, I poked around some more in the Internet Options and this time when I clicked OK it asked me if I was sure I wanted to make the changes - but I hadn't made any changes.

Curiously though, I can now download files. I must have thought I saw or did something, but actually did not.

All set for now, thanks again.

Bob - www.crowcoder.com

Friday, August 9, 2013 10:17 PM